You can type here any text you want

Ignition timing determination?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
I have been thinking: How is the ignition timing determined?

This is my understanding.
The crank sensor determines timing BTDC and the cam sensor determines cylinder fired. Sure, 2 fire at the same time in a ate spark system.

The balancer has a interupter ring with 3 windows.
Which tab/trailing edge (?) determines timing and is it always the same edge/tab?

If not, does the tollerance/variation of the spacing between the edges have any impact?

Last edited:
During cranking (non-EST mode) the trailing edge of the shutter is used to trigger the ICM for spark plug firing. This is done at 10* BTDC.

During running (EST mode) the leading edge of the shutter is used by the ICM to send a signal to the ECM for spark plug firing. This is at 70* BTDC.

The width of each shutter and each opening (window) is 60* of rotation. This places each leading edge 120* apart, same as the crank throws for the rods. Same for the trailing edges, 120* apart.

The GM shutter wheels are fairly accurate, the placement on the damper not so much.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks for the reply.

So if timing for cyl 1 is verified and the leading edge is off of the other tabs, will the ignition timing will be off on the other pairs of cylinders?

Thanks for the reply.

So if timing for cyl 1 is verified and the leading edge is off of the other tabs, will the ignition timing will be off on the other pairs of cylinders?

Yes, any variance of the 120* from the leading edge of a shutter will cause a timing shift of the plug firing.

I have to edit this, unless the balancer/hub has been accurately marked every 120*, the following won't work. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted this:

This is easy to check once cylinder #1 has been verified. Move the timing light to cylinder #3 and check the timing, then on to cylinder #5 and check the timing. They each use a different shutter, covering all three by checking those cylinders.

Edit: this is correct:

On the stock ECM (and the EBL SFI-6 ECM), shorting A&B on the ALDL connector while running forces the spark to be at 15* BTDC. The timing tab has a pointer for that value.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for responding.

PS:
I need to do a better job reading my typing before posting. My post made no sense to me. Lol

Back