I'm clueless as to why I keep spitting oil out the breathers

I'll get ahold of a leakdown tester and see what I come up with...guess it's time to find out the truth about the condition of my motor!:eek:

Well here just something that happeneds to us .On our 6 second alcohol running blower car ,when the puke tanks are emptied ...there is that whitish green(green because we use 70 weight Kendal oil) foam type comming out.That is because at one point at staging(rich condition) our letting off at top end the rich mixture mixes in to the oil in the valve covers and gets deposited into the puke tanks at the back of the car.
I'm just wondering because you have yours set for 26 to27 lbs boost all the time which is fine,but let's say normal driving around and those little birsts at 18 to 20 range when your not on it too long ,would it not burn fully,foam and come out the breathers. Some what of a rich condition .Just a thought
Mike

On my 70 Chevelle I had a similar problem with my breathers after about 3,000 miles they were soaked in oil. I took them out and cleaned them in a safety parts machine and then let them dry overnight.There good for another 3,000. Give that a try.

The white goo is a precipitant of sulfur. It usually occurs when mixing air and tap/ground water under pressure. Now you have to figure out where the sulfur is coming from.

What do you run for coolant? Do you notice any large amounts of condensation?

This is a shot in the dark, maybe impossible, but ya never know. What if the turbo itself was leaking boost from the compressor side through the bearing and into the drain line for the turbo? I know it would cause these symptoms, but I don't know that its even remotely feasible, just thought I'd throw it out there...:rolleyes: If you want to test this improbable theory, take a balloon and zip-tie it to the dipstick tube, see if it inflates under zero-boost, then try it with. See what kinda haibrained ideas you can come up with when you work on Japanese junk all day :p

Originally posted by Benched
The white goo is a precipitant of sulfur. It usually occurs when mixing air and tap/ground water under pressure. Now you have to figure out where the sulfur is coming from.

What do you run for coolant? Do you notice any large amounts of condensation?

I run the 50/50 mix Prestone green stuff...I'm still looking at doing a leak down test to see what is going on...I forgot to mention that I noticed that my coolant overflow tank went down considerably after this happened...like the antifreeze was being used up somewhere...what would that mean??? I noticed I was leaking a few drops of coolant from somewhere but I checked everywhere and haven't been able to trace it? I wonder what is going on...

Coolant gone from recovery tank-guess what.:eek:

I vote HG's.

I had a BBC motor that only under high boost would consume water, the HG's were pushed so that under high boost it would cuase the problem. I even pressure tested the radiator and it held fine.

That may be another test for you... put 25-30 PSI into the radiator and see what happens. If the pressure bleeds down, find the source.

You also had some problems with detonation a few months ago...its proably coming back and giving you the bill. HG's get chipped away at..until they finally go.

Fuelie600 great tip...

Originally posted by Big Mike
(green because we use 70 weight Kendal oil)

Big Mike...

Where are you getting your oil, or is that just some old stock you bought up? We bought up the last of the green we could find when we were told production would be stopped.

:cool:

I have a similar situation (blowby) on my 65K mile stock shortblock. I stopped running breathers to keep that "stock look"... I know, BAD Jay! Actually, I do have the stock breather setup on the passenger valve cover but it isn't venting into the turbo bell. Anyway, mine will lift the dipstick off the tube on a 1/4 pass! I recently pulled a plug from each bank and found a small amount of oil on the threads of each plug. Plugs looked great other than that. Am going to do a compression test one of these weekends... no access to a leakdown tester.

I am also wondering how an intake gasket could do this? You see, I had a guy port my intake years ago and he hogged it way out... very little material left between the ports. I was concerned about it, but don't see how that would cause these types of symptoms unless it was blown to the valley, not between ports, right?

Oh yeah... I am running dual steel shims with GE1200 and ARP bolts torqued to like 105 psi. NO coolant loss; no smoke during normal driving; some smoke at WOT, but may be the blowby combined with my leaky rear main dripping on my crossover, because it doesn't happen every time.

my passenger side does also it is a 300 mile new 87 engine. it is bugging the hell out of me. it dont smell but every 30 sec there is a puff of smoke that my friends see behind befrom under the car. i am thinking of making a baffle inside of the vlave cover so just the fumes excape not the oil. though the covers are aluminum but i think the weld marks will leave a stin on the outside ov the covers. heres what i have as a compleate motor

.030 over 109
total seal rings
bms rods
stock crank
steel mains
comp cam .459 lift
ta aluminum tall valve covers with breathers
hi volume timing cover
52 turbo 17 lbs of boost
champion intake
70mm tb
hogged out 8445 heads
50lb injectors
lt1 maf with transulator

I drove my car around for nearly 2 years with the same problem. The breathers would get soaked with oil and drip every now and then on the headers. It wasn't until I did a night race, pulled over and popped the hood to let it cool that I saw the flame that resulted from each drip. I ended up going with a different style breather that accepted a 5/8" heater hose that I routed under the car.

I had two problems. The moisture on the breathers was from a blown headgasket but that didn't fix the vapors and oil soaking problem. Upon teardown, my top and second rings were literally half the thickness in the ringland area than the small section that doesn't come into contact with the piston. Also, the ringlands in the pistons were much wider than they should have been. The rings were beat to death. Not saying this is your problem but it sounds like it's a possibility.

Don, I don't know if you have an external oil cooler but I had a very similar whiteish foam from my breathers. I had thought headgasket also. After some monitoring, I found that it was really forming at night (cold) or in the mornings (cold). I removed the external oil cooler I had and it went away immediately. Oil was not getting warm enough. FWIW. my car tends to run right at 160* most of the time (good cooling system) with dips below 160* in cool conditions at freeway speeds.