I'm finally doing it... need some advice.

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well I finally have decided I can't bring myself to mess with the 3.8 anymore... I'm always worried about it, and I know if I nuke it I will have to shell out $5000+ to fix it.

So here goes, I am now putting together a parts list and I need advice.

Here's my tentative plans:
- 4.8 or 5.3 probably totally stock at first, maybe ls style intake.
- Budget single turbo (Either an On3 76mm or Masterpower unit)
- KB log manifold, possibly fabbing myself if I don't like the specs on it (smaller primaries/crossover due to the fact I wont be making 1000+fwhp)
- A/C and power steering
-E85, 80lb injectors.
-My main goal is to use as many OEM GM parts possible. I don't mind fabrication (no aluminum) so notching the factory frame doesn't bother me.
- JY 4l80E, unless I do blow through in which case I'll do a T400.

-I have debated doing a non-intercooled E85 blow through setup as well.

Here's where I need help:

- I need to know what mount plates and pan will work with a standard GM A/C compressor.
So far it appears that the Sphoon or BRP mounts with a used hummer pan will work, but I am open to
ideas. Remember I want to use either used or new GM parts where possible.
- Who all makes either adapters or good budget trans cross members?
- Any suggestions for driveshafts?
- If I do EFI Can I use a drop in racetronix fuel pump system/hanger and if so what fuel pressure regulator?
If not, what are people doing for fuel systems?
- Can I run the stock fuel rails for the manifold I choose?
- What are people doing for throttle bodies?

I am absolutely not trying to reinvent the wheel here, and I do not have a set power goal. My only goals are to make this very clean looking and as stock as possible. After it runs and drives I'll pull the engine and go through it do what is needed to keep it alive and make power. First goal is to bring it to life and get it mechanically solid. There are very few swaps on here that I've seen with goals similar to mine. I am going to keep the "might as well" parts to an absolute minimum where possible.

I'm a member on LS1tech and used to spend a ton of time on there, so if I don't get the answers I need I'll try to find the answers myself and post what I find.

Stock x member here.
SD7 compressor is smaller than the oem unit. I have 1, but it's not mounted.
Made my own engine mts.
Made my own truck exh manifolds... {good to over 1000HP}
80# injs at LS fuel psi = 94#.. may not be enuf on E85. {mine is on gas}.
I have the RT dble pumper 680.
I have PS and ALT mounted on a Vette brkt, spaced to match the truck balancer. The wp is a 2010 Camaro. Did this so the dr side x over would be a smoother bend.
I notched the frame, as I lowered the engine.
A truck intake will work just fine.
I have a Aeromotive reg, boost referenced.
The ECM is the Holley Dominator.

I have a group of pics, many of which I've already posted. I can send them to you w/ an email addy...

Did some quick looking and it looks like kbracing uses 1.5 inch weld els for the primaries and 2.5 inch pipe up to the turbo flange.

My setup is similar to chuck's above. a few differences though..

Spohn engine mounts
CTS-V oil pan
Stock truck a/c compressor fits without notching
stock truck accessory drive
Truck intake
2005 ecm with cable throttle and flex fuel
JY 2009 4l80e with HD2 shift kit
Racetronix 430lph e85 pump and sending unit. Good to 550ish rwhp with e85 on my setup at 46 psi base pressure.
ID1000 injectors
Aeromotive boost referenced regulator
iceman crossmember
PST 3.5 inch aluminum driveshaft

I have aftermarket fuel rails but the stock truck rails should work just fine. They even have a manifold referenced regulator built in. "Denmah" on LS1tech has had great luck using stock rails on high hp turbo builds.

Stock cable or electronic throttles are more than capable.

Almost bought an engine today... Found a nice looking 2002 4.8 right around the corner from me with 160K miles for $350. I can probably get it for $300 if I go back monday. It's got a few more miles than I want, but honestly it's really just a starting point so as long as starts and runs I'll be more than happy. It's got the cable TB setup too.

I've done a TON of fuel system research over the past two days! Right now my plan is to run a single DW300 in tank with a -10 feed line to where the stock fuel filter is until I need something bigger... which hopefully won't be long. When I do, Ill most likely go with a boost activated external pump feeding from a bolt in sump (diesel guys make these) in the bottom of the tank. Leaning towards Magnafuel for my secondary system. This way I'll keep the reliability of the DW300 and only use the monster pump when it's actually needed keeping my fuel temp down.

I'm also going to be running a spin on fuel filter setup that designed for diesel systems that will filter down to 2 micron (yeah I said TWO) and flow way more than any inline filter out there... best part is it should run under $100 and replacement filters run under $20... diesel guys are getting 15,000 mile service life out of them, but we always replaced them at 300 hours in the field, but the majority of the time the engines run WOT and in oilfield conditions. These filters are safe for biodiesel which has a bunch of methanol in them, so E85 isnt an issue. Search for Cat 1r-0749 or 1r-0750 if you're interested. The filters are huge, but I've installed hundreds of them and only have great things to say about them.

It's taking everything I have in my not to go rip my engine out right now hahaha!