I'm gonna do it....3.73 gears

b4black

I found a lead on a 3.73 7.625" limited slip rear from a Monte SS. $300 is a little more than I was hoping for, but it's much less than buying a new ring gear, new LS differential and having it installed. Heck, it's even less than just buying a LS differential and having it installed and while keeping my 3.42. The rear is complete less control arms (cut). Even a 22mm sway bar. :)

I know some people think is too much gear, but I checked again on the Richmond Gear Calculator and it seems to make sense. At 75 mph, 26" tire and overdrive, I'm turning 2221 rpms with the 3.42. With the 3.73, it will only go up to 2422. 200 rpm shouldn't be a problem. In comparison, my '82's have a 3.08 and no OD- they will be turning 2985 rpm's at 75 mph. :eek:

The other consideration is during racing that I will be winding out third gear before the end of the quarter mile. I don't think this will be a problem either. According to the calculator, even at 120 mph, it will be under 4,000 rpm. And a 120 mph is roughly a 11.0 ET. Not only it that wwaayy beyong my goals for this car (if even possible), as it is primarily a street car, I would need to be stepping up to a 8.5" rear long before then.

And I don't think I need a $700+ 8.5" rear for this car. I looking for 15's, maybe 14's. The 7.625" will reportedly handle that just fine.

On my '82's, I already have a 3.08 limited slip rear for one. On the other, I want to go will a 3.42, since it will be raced only. (This will be a lot of gear for a non-OD trans.) Instead of using the '83 TR's open 3.42, I think I will look for another Monte rear. Earlier years used 3.42's.

Looks like I will be swapping out three rears this summer. :)

Hi Rich;

If that doesn't work out. I have a set of 3.42's on a 7 5/8 auburn posi carrier. Let me know. It the old rear out of car before I swicthed over to the 8.5" .

Cool, I'll need to check into how it would be to have it installed. If it's about the same money, I'd rather have the Aubrun in my original rear.

Well I have the rear. :)

I'm going to do a little work to it before putting it in. New brake lines, change the fliud and new cover (with a drain plug) to start. Any other suggestions?

Paint it Black.... Oh and paint the new cover sliver...or chrome it :p
No real give it a good black finish