You can type here any text you want

I'm having trouble removing rear break drum

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

n0_Dice

I'm not sure if it's just stuck, but I'm afraid to bang on it. I see a little hole on the drum, so I'm wondering if there is something keeping the drum on. The hole is real tiny, but all I can see inside is a spring.

Can anyone explain how I would go about getting this off? Any help would be appreciated.

I had to spray some PB Blaster on the lugs and center hub and just keep tapping all around until the drum let loose. I got aluminum drums and had to tap lightly so they wouldn't crack.

If you have steel drums, sledgehammer away! Ok don't go crazy on it, but if the drum hasn't been removed in years, it's going to be stuck. Take the advice mentioned above, spray some rust penetrant to free it up, and then give it some good taps.

Did you back off the drum brake adjuster? Typically over time the pads will wear a lip into the drum and you have to back off the brake self-adjuster enough to clear the lip to remove the drum easily.

Usually the brake self-adjuster can be backed off through a little hole on the back of the drum using flat screwdriver.

D

Back