In market for 86 GN? in Fallbrook, CA

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
Hey All,

While driving through Fallbrook, CA I found a 1986 Buick GN on one of the side streets just off of Mission down town. I stopped by briefly to check it out and it’s all stock, no modifications and is in very good shape. The car has 108,000 on the clock, looks to have had a recent paint job. The interior is in very good shape no rips in the seats and headliner is like new, door panels are excellent. It started right up, doesn’t smoke, no knocks but could use a tune up and some cleaning. Body is very straight and looks tobe a one owner car, it also still has the blue CA plates on it.

You could probably pick this car up for $5,500, he was asking $6,500 NEG. I got his business card “Ron Neely Automotive”
760 723-8969

Located at 620 S. Mission Rd
Fallbrook, CA 92028

My wife won't let me have another:(

Originally posted by Raymond Bunch
Hey All,

While driving through Fallbrook, CA I found a 1986 Buick GN on one of the side streets just off of Mission down town. I stopped by briefly to check it out and it’s all stock, no modifications and is in very good shape. The car has 108,000 on the clock, looks to have had a recent paint job. The interior is in very good shape no rips in the seats and headliner is like new, door panels are excellent. It started right up, doesn’t smoke, no knocks but could use a tune up and some cleaning. Body is very straight and looks tobe a one owner car, it also still has the blue CA plates on it.

You could probably pick this car up for $5,500, he was asking $6,500 NEG. I got his business card “Ron Neely Automotive”
760 723-8969

Located at 620 S. Mission Rd
Fallbrook, CA 92028

My wife won't let me have another:(

Well, yeah--I can understand why she won't let you have another-- cause you just may turn it into another badasss street machine.:D

Re: Re: In market for 86 GN? in Fallbrook, CA

Originally posted by black heat
Well, yeah--I can understand why she won't let you have another-- cause you just may turn it into another badasss street machine.:D

Actually I was wanting to restore this one:( but what can I say, the wife wears the pants in this family.

It is a nice car though and somebody will be happy with it. I just wish it were me:)

Wow,

Can't believe i saw somebody posting about fallbrook - that little town. I use to live there for 15 years.

Still go up there every once in awhile to visit friends from high school.

My friend has been trying to convince me to take my TTA up there but i'd put more miles on that 1 trip than what i put on it in a couple months.

My sister lives there. She bought the house formerly owned by the Wilson girl from the Wilson/Phillips group. 86 GN, sounds like a good reason to go visit. :D

Hey Raymond Bunch, what needed to be done on the car? Does it need some major work? I'm semi-interested if it doesn't need major work. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Brian

Brian

Originally posted by BGN8711
Hey Raymond Bunch, what needed to be done on the car? Does it need some major work? I'm semi-interested if it doesn't need major work. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Brian

This car is in really good shape overall, I've been around these cars for a while now and know what to look for in regards to abuse. This car is 100% stock, and doesn't appear to have been in any accidents or anything. Apparently the owner kept it in his relm since new and has been taken care of from what I see. It will need a good tune up, and general spring cleaning. Other than that, it's in very good condition. Body is very straight, paint is like new and interior is is in very good shape and it starts right up, no knocks, no pings etc. I haven't driven it yet but I may swing out there this Saturday and take it for a spin.

Ray

Raymond,

Did you get a chance to see the car again.....What are your thoughts? Did you buy it? Just curious...I have been looking for a nice 1984-1987 GN with under 80k miles since about a week after I sold my WE4 almost a year ago. Man was I crazy to sell, but it could have gone to a nicer person....I went to a gentleman in N.J. and I'm located in Fresno. Please keep me posted. Thanks

Aaron

Originally posted by acoen
Raymond,

Did you get a chance to see the car again.....What are your thoughts? Did you buy it? Just curious...I have been looking for a nice 1984-1987 GN with under 80k miles since about a week after I sold my WE4 almost a year ago. Man was I crazy to sell, but it could have gone to a nicer person....I went to a gentleman in N.J. and I'm located in Fresno. Please keep me posted. Thanks

Aaron

Aaron

Well went by again today (Sunday) and looked at it a little more, also talked to the wife of the owner by cell, husband was away.

They really need to sale it and I asked if they would take $5,500 for it, the answer was yes. One may even be able to pick it up for less with cash in hand! They have a baby on the way is the reason they are selling it.

Over all I think it's worth it, and someone will get a great deal. In saying this, I haven't driven it yet and don't know how it drives and handles. I am going to talk to the owner tomorrow when he get's back and get more detailed info about it, and maybe take it for a spin during lunch time if time permits. Later.

Ray

I went and saw the car, even hooked up my direct scan to it brought my own ECU, this is what the car needs, new MAF,new brake accumulator ,new steering wheel the one on the car is pretty much crap, 3 inch vertical tear in the driver seat, 7 inch tear on the dashboard plastic molding right above the vents that has split to about 1 1/2 inches wide,dashboard cover (plastic part has a few cracks in it, turbo is leaking probably from the seals, new belt, carpet truck is pretty shot, it probably needs the camsensor shimmed because it has a tapping sound coming from the top of it , clean engine bay , also the paint is coming off on the driver side rear fender a whole section of it about 2 feet the paint is just falling off the body, saw a few oil leaks under the car perhaps from the rear main seal and transmission, the only mods I saw on the car were, bypass breather for turbo, bypass throttle body lines, hose taking off the stock FP regulator to increase Fuel pressure, it has a new ECU with the stock chip in it,stock injectors were taken off and cleaned, the owner also mentioned that the previous owner took the car to him because the turbo hose had blown off and he could not figure out why the car was running like crap so there is a possibility of the car being overboosted, the stereo cover has a few scratches on it the headliner is in pretty good shape but it shows smalls signs of sagging.. other than that is a good buy, all i can say is be prepare to tow it or bring a new maf and accumulater ball if you want to drive away, and raymond dont drive that car, it has no brakes just warning you...

Yep, I drove from Fresno to see the car a nearly 700 mile round trip. I was told by the owner that the car was an 8 out of 10 and needed really nothing besides a good tune-up (what a fool I am). He mentioned that the paint had some minor checking behind the driver's door, underline the word minor. No word from him to bring a trailer...he knew the car was not driveable

The car ran terrible, but I think with some work I could have run fair. The engine compartment was brown and a rusty, fan shroud was broken, needed an accumulator and no doubt a new powermaster and rebuilt braking system (brakes grabbed while stopping), mass airflow sensor was malfuctioning, I also noted several leaks. The body was fairly straight, dents and dings, paint was peeling off in several spots, the checking behind the driver's door was severe and ready to peel. The interior was poor, like the previous thread mentioned, broken shift handle, radio bezel was rough, carpet was shot, tears in seats and very dirty. The under carriage was a little wet and brown with oil and surface rust (what I would expect from a 100k car), there was also a huge dent...note the word huge, in the floor pan behind the passenger back seat. In short, for the car to be nice, one would have to touch everything including body, interior, engine, brakes...etc. The car was a disappointment and a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I wish the owner would have been honest with me, up front. Guess I will have to pry a little harder for information next time. I was under the impression that the car would be able to be driven home and in good condtion. My time wasn't wasted, I would have never know what condition the car was in if I didn't go take a look for myself.

Guess you could say "what do you expect with a 100k car?"
But who knows next time the car may be exactly what I am looking for. Half the fun is in the hunt.

Good points in the car, Hard top light weight model, wheels in good condtion, body somewhat straight, no stress cracking in body and in factory stock configuration.

I just wanted to back the previous post, the car was misrepresented by the owner. You shouldn't have to pry for the obvious.