You can type here any text you want

in need of some knowledgeable input

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbota633

i had thought about gettin an extender chip, but it sounded a little advanced for my level of knowledge, the maxeffort seemed a little less comlicated, and ordering a chip from Eric(turbotweak) seemed to be the right path, however the 2 user - adjustable paramaters is what concerns me, adjusting fuel levels seems easy enough, but adjusting timing, especially specific for each gear is what i dont quite understand..can someone help me understand how timing helps/hurts by changing it...and i guess help me understand timing in general? i know the basic idea of timing, but thats about it. before i go and order a chip that i am not 100% confident in messing with, i want to clear up any confusion i have. i am kinda a newbie at this tuning stuff, though i am gettin somewhere. thanks in advance.
-Joe

after posting, i found the article on turbotweak.com,it says based on engine load the ecm says delay spark by X degree(s)(whatever degree is specified by the ecm). by what is it measuring the degrees?

-joe

Timing is measured in degrees because it is degrees of rotation, where Top dead center of the piston is at 0 degrees. Advancing the timing advances when the spark will fire from the plug to create the explosion in the cylinder.
Normally for pump gas and say 17# of boost, all that can be tolerated is about 19-20degrees on timing. Engine load and gas octane play a big role in how much timing the engine can tolerate before knocking....knock destroys the rod bearings and head gaskets...you don't want to have any knock.
Generally in low gears the engine can tolerate more timing....
Usually more timing means more power because the spark fires earlier letting the fuel mixture to burn more completely...you want to try to time the "explosion" at the exact time the piston is at TDC...this requires the plug firing a bit earlier before TDC.

Higher octane, like race gas will allow you to run more timing without knock and make more power..not to mention that the higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns so you need to advance the timing in order to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

Hope that generally explains it.

In order to be able to use the TurboTweak chip to adjust timing and WOT, you'll need to have Direct Scan scanner software and a laptop...if you have that, it is very easy to adjust those settings.
And you should have a scan tool of some type before doing anything at WOT in order to watch for knock and other things.

it all makes sense now,i thought about it for a while yesterday and actually came up with what i found out today was the correct answer, that the degrees are based on one rotation and that TDC is 0. i did not know that you needed direct scan with turbotweak chip, i have a scanmaster. of the people using the maxeffort chip, is it difficult to tune the car in on one, in other words i dont want to choose a product that will be too difficult for someone with my level of knowledge, though i think i could figure it out once i begin messing with it, and i guess the best way to learn is by trial and error, i just dont want to blow anything.
thanks for the help.
-Joe

Directscan not needed. Any scantool that displays LV8 and BLM is fine. The Scanmaster will work.

awesome, i am sure the instructions tell how to do this..but i will ask anyways, how are adjustments made? i am really interested in gettin a chip(or 2 from you) however, i have an issue. to make a long story short, a good Turbo Buick tech back home(ohio) is workin on my car, i am currently deployed, had my dad take the car to him, my dad knows his ****, but didnt really pay attention and doesnt know what turbo the guy is putting on my car(my turbo went bad) i am assuming it is a ta49 or te44 becuase the car is basically stock(009's,k&n cold air intake,adj WG), but its been buggin the crap out of me to find out, and i've been buggin my dad to find out. so as soon as i find this out i plan on ordering a few things for the car, i am going home the first of June for leave and want to get some track time in. i guess that shortened- long story turned into a long one anyways, sorry..but thanks for the help.
-Joe

Originally posted by Eric Stage I
Directscan not needed. Any scantool that displays LV8 and BLM is fine. The Scanmaster will work.
Sorry, I was not sure if scan master could show specific BLM cells if the car was not actually "in" that BLM cell. Some scan tools with other cars do not display all of the cells like DS does.

On the TT chip, the adjustments are made by going through a series of turning on the AC and disconnecting the MAT sensor, then turning the AC on again..all with the engine off, just key on.
Its very easy to do and you monitor certain BLM cells for the adjustment being made in that process. You have WOT fueling, and WOT timing in 1/2 gear, and WOT timing in 3/4 gear....3 adjustments possible.

Rob explained it pretty well. LV8 will show you what parameter you are adjusting. That's why you don't need Directscan for the adjustment procedure.

Eric

thanks a lot, things make more sense to me now, i always try to ask myself why before doing something like...adding, or changing something...i also am planning on getting the rjc boost controller and powerplate...then spend some time tuning.

-Joe

Back