You can type here any text you want

In the name of all that is holy....help!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

savage6

O.K, I have had my 87 gn for about four months now and frankly, its just not running like I think it should I took it to the track and I ran 4 times the lowest being 10.446@72mph in the 1/8th the rest were between 10.5 and 10.7. it was around 70-75 degrees. The only mods are an old hypertech chip, msd precut plugwires,
dual flowmasters whith no cat, k&n cone, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and the engine has around 35000 miles on it!! So, obviously this must stop at once!!

When I launch I power brake to about 2-3 psi (that is as much as I can get, I mean it boosts to around 2 or 3 and will not get any more, the rpms and boost stay the same while power braking) going down the track I get about 12-14 psi on my aftermarket boost gauge so I know it's right.

I'm running bfg 275/60's on the rear so the only tire spin I get is the tiny bark into second.

The only thing that I can see that would cause this is the cracked headers BUT, there are only three small cracks in them, COULD THIS BE THE SOLE CAUSE FOR SUCH POOR E/T's??!?!??

From what I gather the times for a STOCK 87 are around 9.9?? is that correct??

OR, am I just crazy?

Thanks,

p.s. where can I find some GNX style rims??

Welcome to the world of Turbo Buicks:

1. Get a scan tool (scanmaster etc.) so you can monitor knock, without it you are flying blind and risk damage to your motor.

2. Upgrade your fuel system to at least a Walbro 307 fuel pump and hotwire kit.

3. Ditch the hypertech chip and get a more modern one, many guys offer good chips: Cottons, Jay Carter, Testa, Thrasher to name a few.

4. Get the headers fixed so you can take that problem out of the equation.

5. Do a good "Spring Cleaning" even though it is November: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

That should get you on the right track, not as much fun as buying go fast parts but you need a good foundation to build upon.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

It could also have the wrong torque converter in it. Stall it up somewhere safe and mash the pedal to check what rpm's you can get it up to without breaking the tires loose. It should be at least 2400 rpm's or more. You will have to have good rear brakes to do this, though. I have seen 2 turbo Regals in the past that had the wrong stall. In both cases you had to work at it to get a couple of pounds of boost at launch and then the boost rose lazily to 14-15 lbs. Replacing with the correct torque coverter fixed the problem in both cases. Just something else to consider.

On the wheels, one of our Oklahoma club members has some for sale. Click here - http://members.cox.net/mballinger1/wheels1
If you are interested e-mail him here - mballinger1@cox.net

Originally posted by savage6
O.K, I have had my 87 gn for about four months now and frankly, its just not running like I think it should I took it to the track and I ran 4 times the lowest being 10.446@72mph in the 1/8th the rest were between 10.5 and 10.7. it was around 70-75 degrees. The only mods are an old hypertech chip, msd precut plugwires,
dual flowmasters whith no cat, k&n cone, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and the engine has around 35000 miles on it!! So, obviously this must stop at once!!

When I launch I power brake to about 2-3 psi (that is as much as I can get, I mean it boosts to around 2 or 3 and will not get any more, the rpms and boost stay the same while power braking) going down the track I get about 12-14 psi on my aftermarket boost gauge so I know it's right.

I'm running bfg 275/60's on the rear so the only tire spin I get is the tiny bark into second.

The only thing that I can see that would cause this is the cracked headers BUT, there are only three small cracks in them, COULD THIS BE THE SOLE CAUSE FOR SUCH POOR E/T's??!?!??

From what I gather the times for a STOCK 87 are around 9.9?? is that correct??

OR, am I just crazy?

Thanks,

p.s. where can I find some GNX style rims??

Ditch the Flowmasters. They are so restrictive and will kill you with backpressure. Second, toss that hypertech chip into the front yard and check out the new chips that are around. I recommend the extender chip with the T+, or you can check out the new Commander chip that's due out. Lastly but surely not least is get the headers welded up, just the smallest cracks in them can effect performance big time. Do those things and you'll be on your way and don't forget some slicks to race on the first 60' is everything. Good luck and welcome aboard!!

Back