You can type here any text you want

Inexpensive Chime Repair

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CzyKats44

This is the way.
This write up explains how to help out your Key/Lights/Seatbelt chime if it already works but is almost inaudible. This may have been covered before but I wanted to get some pics in.

The Chime assembly is over the drivers right knee under the dash with the plug receptacle facing forward with one clip on the top center.

1. Pull it out tward the front of the car.
20150404_190639.jpg

2. Pry the two clips to open the case
20150404_190654.jpg

3. Pry at this point and tilt up and out (extracting the blades with the circuit board)
20150404_190718.jpg

4. Flip and pry one side of the black plastic clip and flop over to release the other. (Carefully, mine was already cracked but still holds effectively)
20150404_190735.jpg

5. Unclip the yellowed plastic plate retainer and separate the three parts.
20150404_190807.jpg

6. I cleaned the deteriorated buffer off of yellowed plastic piece with alcohol and scraped the buffer from the metal disc with a razorblade.
20150404_190924.jpg

7. I cut the pads (cabinet door corner pads) into pieces that fit into the groove and put them opposite the clips.
20150404_191140.jpg

Upon reassembly I checked it and it works alot better. I have no idea if they are the same decible levels as original but they certainly can be heard.

I hope you find this useful if you have a working chime that you can barely hear!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up. The one in the GN is the same way, works but can barely hear it. I figured that someone neutered it on purpose, guess not. I'll likely try this to get it a little louder, mainly for the lights-on reminder.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks for the write up!!!! I have a different question concerning this. My Headlight warning works just as it should. The key in ignition with door open does not. I can turn the key slowly toward the "run" position and it will work. Anybody know how to adjust this? Thanks for your time!!!!

Thanks for this! I have a few different chimes, and I have the loudest one in there now, but it could use some help. I too like it for the light reminder.

Thanks for the write up!!!! I have a different question concerning this. My Headlight warning works just as it should. The key in ignition with door open does not. I can turn the key slowly toward the "run" position and it will work. Anybody know how to adjust this? Thanks for your time!!!!

To answer my question and for others searching, the clip inside the column has 2 contacts that need to be adjusted in order for the key warning to work.
warn.JPG

Back