Infamous leak

Shot in the dark...check the filler tube at its base. You may have covered that already, but I'm throwing it out there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Yes sir. I try to cover my bases on this forum so I don't make an appearance on the other one;)

Is there any way of taking some photo shots of the leaky area?
I could definitely do that on the next round of leaking. I already got it cleaned up and put pookie in the dust cover bolt hole along with the bolt being reinstalled...

I have the original 200 4r sitting in the barn along with all the rest of the stock parts that have been removed from the car. If it leaks again, I will take some pics of the leak right before I yank that tranny back out and take it,along with my original tranny, back to Jake's performance to have all the internals transplanted into my original transmission

I know you already checked the manual shaft seal area, but can you also take a close up picture as well, curious

Ok fellas... Have what I thought was to be the source of the leak pookied up with ultra black RTV. Made 2 pulls this afternoon without getting caught, got back to the house, left the car running and checked to see if it was leaking again and it was. Not as bad as before but this time I got some video. I have already checked the TC seal and everything is dry above the pan.

First video is from the right side. Tried to show the TV cable, dipstick, and cooler lines. All is dry above the pan on this side

This video is from the left side. Tried to show the seal. Looks dry to me on this side and the old "stick your finger on there and see if it's wet test" revealed it to be dry as the Iraqi desert.

I know it may be hard for you to believe that leak is coming from the manual shaft seal, but on the second video on top of the manual leakage that connects to, it looks like some previous wet spot.
Look, for $13.00 and about 1/2 of your time why don't you replace the manual shaft seal clean up the transmission fluid around the gasket, drive your ride and post back your result. Look at the bright side, at least you eliminated one possibly
At least you can prove me wrong or right:nailbiting:

I know it may be hard for you to believe that leak is coming from the manual shaft seal, but on the second video on top of the manual leakage that connects to, it looks like some previous wet spot.
Look, for $13.00 and about 1/2 of your time why don't you replace the manual shaft seal clean up the transmission fluid around the gasket, drive your ride and post back your result. Look at the bright side, at least you eliminated one possibly
At least you can prove me wrong or right:nailbiting:

You can get that seal out in just a few minutes with a self-tapping screw and a pair of vise-grips...

On thread #5 I wrote how much and where to buy the inexpensive tool
The location is too narrow to play with a screw and vise-grips, and not to mention of possibly scratching/marking the manual shaft itself

I'll get the seal Monday and replace it when it warms back up. It has dropped 40 degrees in the last 30 minutes and suppose to be freezing rain by lunch. Funny thing is I got a little sunburn yesterday mowing the yard

On thread #5 I wrote how much and where to buy the inexpensive tool
The location is too narrow to play with a screw and vise-grips, and not to mention of possibly scratching/marking the manual shaft itself

Yeah, you did... While nice to have, not many people want or need a "one time use" tool. A cheap, hardware store grade (Chinese) screw is not gonna hurt that shaft, unless said person removing the seal was a complete dolt.

Yeah, you did... While nice to have, not many people want or need a "one time use" tool. A cheap, hardware store grade (Chinese) screw is not gonna hurt that shaft, unless said person removing the seal was a complete dolt.
You'll be surprise how many still wants a left handed screwdriver:asshat:

New shaft seal installed....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 101
You didn't finish the sentence of a New shift seal installed and it don't leak anymore, WELL, can you said that after driving the car?
I posted the pic when I came inside to clean up after installing the seal and cleaning the tranny up.

Now after taking a test drive, I can say that the new shaft seal is bone dry but I still have a fluid leak on the right side of the tranny.

I am leaning towards my father-in-law's theory that there is/was a sand pit in the casting of that tranny case. It only leaks after putting a load on it. I don't know what else to do but change out the guts to the other case that I have

I posted the pic when I came inside to clean up after installing the seal and cleaning the tranny up.

Now after taking a test drive, I can say that the new shaft seal is bone dry but I still have a fluid leak on the right side of the tranny.

I am leaning towards my father-in-law's theory that there is/was a sand pit in the casting of that tranny case. It only leaks after putting a load on it. I don't know what else to do but change out the guts to the other case that I have
Man that sucks, I was really hoping it would be that
You know if you think it's the transmission case, why don't you apply a red dye to see if it is the casing or not?

Look into this Red Dye Penetrant: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPOTCHECK-0...499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338b1f7ffb

Also need this: White Dye Developer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPOTCHECK-0...204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d19a13594

Compare to what is out there this seems to be the cheapest

I do dye penetrant testing at work and have put a lot of thought of doing just that. The biggest obstacle of doing this is getting the case clean enough. I'm thinking the best route to do this would be to take the tranny out, install it on the tranny dyno at jakes performance, give it a super cleaning and then apply the dye.

Since I feel the leak is coming from inside the lower bolt hole that holds the dust cover, I've even thought about welding the bolt hole closed....

Any way I go, I can't get on the track again until the leak is fixed.

If that's what you need to do, then post your findings afterwards, and hope it's a simple job of repairing besides taking the transmission down. I'm only speaking of that since I took my transmission down by myself, and during that time my wife used many ear plugs.