Injectors

trnslt2002

I don't know if anyone has read about my recent problems but I think I might know why I am having them. Has anyone put 42.5 lb injectors in there car and had problems? I just talked to someone from Poston Buick and he said that 42.5 are way too big and are flooding out my engine. I only have a stock replacement turbo and port matched intake and heads. Is he right, is 42.5 too much???

Those injectors would work fine if you had a chip burned for them.

The stock units are like 28lbs, you are using injectors close to twice as big and the chip isn't aware of it. So yes, you are flooding it out......unless you have a chip in which case I'll shut up

I do have a chip from Casper made for them. The car seems to be running rich, but the turbolink doesn't say it is. I can smell the rich fumes and if I gas it some black smoke comes out.

try turning down the fuel pressure some, see if that helps.

BTW, that Caspers chip may be set up for more turbo than you have. If you want to run biginjectors on a relatively stock engine, you should really have a custom chip burned for it. The duty cycle on that chip with those injectors may be too much for your combo

I have turned the fuel pressure down and it doesn't work. I told Casper what turbo I have when they made the chip. Do you know anyone with that size injectors on an 84 or 85? If they do, do they still have the original turbo or something close?

I run the 42.5 on my set up and don't have issues. My turbo is stepped up from stock though. They did know it was for a hot air when you had the chip burned right? Cause if they set it up for an intercooled car it would be pig rich. Anyway to test someone's else's 42.5 chip?

I did specify my year car and I would rather not change from my 7 stage chip, but maybe I should try a different one to see if it fixes the problem. I am very desperate......

Ive got 42s on a stock turbo, and Ive been chasing a rich condition, blms are consistantly 110. Ive changed the 02 sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, regulator, MAF, gone through about 6 different chips burnt by Eric, and it still wont stop running rich. I dunno what the hell to do anymore...

Originally posted by trnslt2002
I did specify my year car and I would rather not change from my 7 stage chip, but maybe I should try a different one to see if it fixes the problem. I am very desperate......
This may be the issue then. If it's burned for an intercooled set up it will cause issues with your set up.

Originally posted by GNAsuka
Ive got 42s on a stock turbo, and Ive been chasing a rich condition, blms are consistantly 110. Ive changed the 02 sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, regulator, MAF, gone through about 6 different chips burnt by Eric, and it still wont stop running rich. I dunno what the hell to do anymore...
What is your fuel pressure at static? Do you have a gauge? What types of other mods do you have? Is there a chance you have an injector stuck open? Just brain storming. Cause I've never had an issue with running rich. But my set up is beefed up too.

My fuel pressure was at 42 line off, but I just recently set it too around 36 line off to see if it would do anything, but it hasnt. I dont have a gauge mounted to check what its doing while Im driving, but I of course have one to adjust it. As for the mods, they're all listed in my sig. The injector stuck open, how do you go about checking that?

Originally posted by GNAsuka
The injector stuck open, how do you go about checking that?
check out:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuelsystem/fpsys_check.html

What setting are you using? On my chip the higher settings will add fuel.

Well....today I figured Id open up my translator (after checking to see if my injectors were good, which they were) and I find that it was set for the 3.5 MAF, when I have the 3'. So I set it to the proper setting and drive the car around a bit. Now I find that I have a lean condition......is there no justice in this world. :mad: BLMs are around 132-136 sometimes 140 at cruise, around 126-128 at idle. For the longest time even when I had my rich condition I have heard a hissing noise comming from the throttle body/intake manifold area, but just shrugged it off. Now Im afraid....what could this hissing noise be...im sure its related to this lean condition. I know my vacume lines are good, I recently replaced them all.:(

Could your intake gasket be bad? I would try to figure this out before driving anymore. Then see how the fuel situation is. Egr isn't leaking is it? What pvc valve do you use? These can stick open too. Found this out from experience.

Originally posted by SLOW_85
check out:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuelsystem/fpsys_check.html

What setting are you using? On my chip the higher settings will add fuel.

It doesn't matter what setting I use, but I normally have it on stage 2 which is normal everything. I also have turbolink and it is saying that I don't have any advance or retard in mny timing. The timing is staying at zero. My injectors are brand new, the engine was just rebuilt with forged pistons, intake is port matched to the heads, and I got a better cam. With these mods I figure 42.5 lb injectors may be too much?

It doesn't matter what setting I use, but I normally have it on stage 2 which is normal everything. I also have turbolink and it is saying that I don't have any advance or retard in mny timing. The timing is staying at zero. My injectors are brand new, the engine was just rebuilt with forged pistons, intake is port matched to the heads, and I got a better cam. With these mods I figure 42.5 lb injectors may be too much?

Sounds like ALDL mode,make sure it's set to normal mode.
What are some of your other numbers? BLM,Integrator,MAF,Coolant temp,etc.
Is it going into closed loop operation?

well if I put it in normal mode it will idle and go into closed loop when it warms. The maf is around 7-8 and the collant temp varies. I will have to get back to you on my BLM and intergrator (Have to check on them tomm). Do any of these numbers differ on the different modes?

Should all read close to the same.
Open Loop runs off the chip until the car goes into closed loop.
Closed loop runs off the various sensors,ecm input.
ALDL mode is for diagnostics and disables knock,timing.
Shouldn't drive it hard in ALDL mode.

trnslt2002 i know what you mean i ordered 37# injectors and tony from poston was telling me that was still to much but i got tham any way cause i dont think the thirtys will be good enough for what i have done