You can type here any text you want

Installed catch can need opinions…!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Aus4955

I recently just installed a catch can due to oil spraying over my valve covers. I went with the mighty mouse solutions catch can. I had two options to pick from. I chose the option that they recommended which is eliminate PCV valve in the intake manifold run line from valve cover to inlet of catch can and exit to vacuum. So with doing that what would be the best way to block PCV.
Also, the hoses they came with were a little short for where I wanted run the lines. Not sure if I’m a fan or where they’re at right now.

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5157.jpeg
    IMG_5157.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
with no PCV how do you not put pressure in the crank case ? did they know this is a boosted car.
Yes I don't run a PCV but get my suction or vacuum from the inlet side of the turbo.
What is your vacuum source ?
I hook my PVC port in the intake and the two valve covers to the can and the vacuum port became dedicated 3 bar for ALKy
Catch can plumbing has almost as many options as what is the best oil question

with no PCV how do you not put pressure in the crank case ? did they know this is a boosted car.
Yes I don't run a PCV but get my suction or vacuum from the inlet side of the turbo.
What is your vacuum source ?
I hook my PVC port in the intake and the two valve covers to the can and the vacuum port became dedicated 3 bar for ALKy
Catch can plumbing has almost as many options as what is the best oil question
I would assume it’s getting suction from the throttle body. The one side of the can is hooked up to where the PCV was.

Ok without a check valve or PCV valve it will pressurize the crankcase.
And with a PVC or check it only will do its job when not in Boost.
Catch can plumbing on a boosted car has it challenges
Probably the best means to run a catch can on a boosted car is a vacuum pump

Chuck is big fan of the MM. I've looked close at them. They have a check valve built into the canister so no boost goes into the engine. My issue with the system is they inlets into to the canister are limited and the only location I could find was in front of the turbo. Not really a fan of that location. For my application I would need to keep the PCV inlet open to let fresh air in. It would need a little filter. The valve covers would need to go to the canister and then the vacuum line back to the 3/8" PCV inlet metal line. There's a lot of info on their website but they mostly cater to LS applications. They do have a picture of a system on a TB but its a race car with no ac box to deal with. They have it mounted to the delete panel.

I could find was in front of the turbo. Not really a fan of that location
This is how I'm plumbed with CorkSport and correct its not the best location, it is a can design for boosted cars. Never checked how much vacuum before turbo I do get. I do drain oil out of it when I do my oil change so its working some.
hopefully Chuck will jump in if he is a big fan of MM
AUS4955 has a nice clean engine compartment Im sure he wants to keep it that way.

Chuck is big fan of the MM. I've looked close at them. They have a check valve built into the canister so no boost goes into the engine. My issue with the system is they inlets into to the canister are limited and the only location I could find was in front of the turbo. Not really a fan of that location. For my application I would need to keep the PCV inlet open to let fresh air in. It would need a little filter. The valve covers would need to go to the canister and then the vacuum line back to the 3/8" PCV inlet metal line. There's a lot of info on their website but they mostly cater to LS applications. They do have a picture of a system on a TB but its a race car with no ac box to deal with. They have it mounted to the delete panel.
Yes the can is little big i welded up a bracket to fit up on where the a/c condenser lines mount to rad. I know the can has a built in check valve i test led it just blowing some air into it. I just dont wanna run the car with the without pcv if its going hurt it with crankcase pressure. Not sure what i do

The vacuum from the metal line is pulling fumes out of the crank case just like the pcv did, it just goes through the can to scrap out the oil. The check valve stops back flow into the crank case. If you want extra protection you can always throw in an inline check valve. If you blocked the pcv grommet then the fresh air will come from your pass valve cover vent I see which is where the fresh air came in when it was attached to the turbo bell in stock configuration.

Ok so i should be good. Just through a check vavle in for extra protection on the the vacuum side. I didnt block the pcv not sure on how im going to do that. Leave it in with a piece of hose attached to that and cap that or find some type of plug to fit in grommet on the intake.

Ok so i should be good. Just through a check vavle in for extra protection on the the vacuum side. I didnt block the pcv not sure on how im going to do that. Leave it in with a piece of hose attached to that and cap that or find some type of plug to fit in grommet on the intake.
Or can i vent it like you said with small air filter

I used Motion Race Works Catch can...didnt bother my pcv...about a simple install as one could get. About a 40 minute install cutting the lines Smoothly after measuring took the longest. I had to put those ANs fitting on them.. Done. It uses 2 hoses into 1 large can probably about 10" long id have to measure to be sure or look on their site...i bet i can go 4 to 6 months without draining that thing. its been 3 so far.

Last edited:
I used Motion Race Works Catch can...didnt bother my pcv...about a simple install as one could get. About a 40 minute install cutting the lines Smoothly after measuring took the longest. I had to put those ANs fitting on them.. Done. It uses 2 hoses into 1 large can probably about 10" long id have to measure to be sure or look on their site...i bet i can go 4 to 6 months without draining that thing. its been 3 so far.
Do you have any pictures?

Of course perfect time too cuz i have the intake tube off,, give me a second,,, its dark out side though...

Dirty Engine Bro...I'm waiting on parts for something lol. No check valves... No bothering the PCV. Other than what I did to it years before the catch can..(check valve in line with the pcv). I'm shooting for 6 months to drain to see what's in there. It was some in there when I first got it but very minimal. I'm sure there's some in there now with many 23 psi boost passes.

20240623_212807.jpg20240623_212912.jpg20240623_212743.jpg

Attachments

• 20240623_212753.jpg
    20240623_212753.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
Dirty Engine Bro...I'm waiting on parts for something lol. No check valves... No bothering the PCV. Other than what I did to it years before the catch can..(check valve in line with the pcv). I'm shooting for 6 months to drain to see what's in there. It was some in there when I first got it but very minimal. I'm sure there's some in there now with many 23 psi boost passes.

View attachment 400362View attachment 400364View attachment 400366
Thats a nice set up. Is it just both vavle covers to catch can?

Back