You can type here any text you want

Installing an XFI on a custom application and have questions on cam sensors.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNVAIR

This isnt a Buick or a V8 for that matter. Its a turbocharged Corvair engine. I am either going to adapt a 84-87 Buick cam sensor OR use a sensor from a 5.0 Explorer. The Ford sensors came in 3 pin (Hall) and 2 pin (VR)
I am going to make a new aluminum body on the lathe to mount the sensor that I finally settle on and modify an existing Corvair distributor shaft to mount the disc for the sensor pick up.
So my question is this........
Is there any reason to use the Hall sensor over a VR sensor. I ask this as I have about a dozen of the Ford VR sensors sitting here that I could use, but no Hall sensors.
I have a Buick cam sensor top, but no discs.
Some good advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The HE sensor is less likely to get noise on it, but not a "must" item. If you shield the cam signal wires properly you will be fine

If your using a buick hall effect sensor make sure you wire in a pull up resistor in the circuit, not sure on the value as I have not put the scope on it yet, its on my things to do list.

I think I might try the Ford style hall switch as its a lot easier to find at the auto parts store and salvage yard than the Buick sensor.
But I do have another question.
Can I used Ford EDIS with the XFI and run it sequentially? Someone on Comp Cams XFI forum told me that it wont run EDIS with the sequential injection.

Back