Installing engine

robh

I need some prior learning experience. I am putting the engine back in the car this weekend and I left the tranny in the car. I heard it was better to install the engine first w/o the engine mounts for more clearance. Is this wise? Also is the same for the headers. I would hate to scratch up my new coatings trying to align the motor. Any experience would be appreciated.
thanks

Put the headers and starter, no worries. Put the engine mounts on, you may scrape the paint off the top of the frame mount...but who's gonna see that??? Leave the coil-pack and hoop bracket off till after the install [so you can get to the upper bellhousing bolts/gnd wires/tranny dipstick mount etc...] First re and re I ever did with the hood still on...these things are small!
HTH
Jim

I made some 1" PVC pipe hood supports (drill two 3/8" holes, 20.5 to 20.75 inch on center) and you can use the factory lift strut hardware and mounting points to hold the hood vertical for engine install and removal. They took about 10 minutes to make and are going in my toolbox for sure.

Thanks guys for the replies. It will make this weekend alot easier. As far as the pvc pipes go. It's easier for me to take the hood off then get crack in the head with it later. I am just a few gaskets and hoses away till I fire it up. I just hope the cam breaks in ok.

You can put the headers on, but not the crossover pipe, as the transmission cooler lines run between it and the block/oil pan.
Take care you don't pinch wires between the block and "bell-housing."

Check and recheck all wiring, even the obvious, like major grounds and positives.

For what it is worth, in all the engine swaps on turbo cars so far, never had to mess with the hood. Also, it is MUCH easier if one, preferrably driver's side, motor mount is left off. Headers with turbo, intake w/plenum can all be installed prior to install with no problem going in.

We can have it in and bolted in about 20 minutes with this method. My kid has had lots of practice at this, and gets those hard to reach bolts much easier than I can!

ya know Nick i am perdy sure that we have pulled motors in about 45min. put it on the stand got the replacment ont he crane and in the car in 1hr and the car running in an othe hour. that make a 3 hour job. i think we did it on D!ck's (richard) motor a few months ago.

BTW i am NOT Nicks kid :)

Dathan

Let me ask the most basic of questions. What do you hook the cherry picker to on these motors? I can see behind the turbo there is a steel ring, but I don't see anything at the rear. I need to pull mine out and have never done one of these.

Originally posted by Low Budgit
Let me ask the most basic of questions. What do you hook the cherry picker to on these motors? I can see behind the turbo there is a steel ring, but I don't see anything at the rear. I need to pull mine out and have never done one of these.

>>>> What I do is use the hook and in the back of the motor, if you were standing in front of the car behind the motor to the right of the knock sensor is a hole that I hook an "S" hook into and with that and the hook she will come right out.

Hope that helps and best of luck.