Installing Hooker Dual Cat Back system

GN Bob

I need to install my new Hooker dual cat back system. My 1st Hooker system lasted 10 years & over 100k mi.

Last time I used my friend's pit in his repair shop but this time I have to do it in my garage. The instructions say to raise the car a minimum of 36". I know a lot of you have used this system. Can I install it by raising the car onto jack stands and let the rear end hang down or do I really need the 36" ground clearance to be able to angle the pipes over the rear axle ?

Thanks,

Bob

If you're just throwing out the old system (I assume you are since you say it lasted 10 years), I'd just make a cut right above the axle. Tailpipes can then be pulled out from the back and the rest can come out from under the car.

not sure if you'll have enough room.

like I said not sure if you'll have the clearence that you'll need. but here's a thought, if your local school (if they have autoshop), has a lift you might be able to use it for free or for a few bucks, thats what I used to do. worth a shot to look into it.

cat back install

Hi Bob, I installed my Hooker cat back in my garage as you stated. I know my car was not 36" off the ground. I just placed a good size jack stand under the frame in front off the rear wheels on both sides and let the rear hang. The tailpipes will go over the rear this way and hope this helps, Phil.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick replies !

I will jack it up onto jack stands under the rear frame rails and dis-assmble the old system. I suppose if I can get the old system out I will be able to get the new one in.

I also just swapped out my cracked drivers side header, boost on demand is back, what a difference ! Now I can get a new inspection sticker on my 87 GN (with 186,000 miles).

Thanks for your help.

Bob

GN Bob said:
I will jack it up onto jack stands under the rear frame rails and dis-assmble the old system.

Bob

Yeah, I meant to ask how it was all connected, if you just had slip-fits and clamps, or welds, etc. If it's not welded or rusted, a can of penetrating oil and some muscle should pull it apart.