You can type here any text you want

Intake does not line up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well I just sent the intake to the machine shop take a little at a time cause I'm fussing that's the problem but now I might have too much compression too

Sometimes the intake gasket interferes a little with the bolts going through the intake into the heads. Mine were tight to get in.

Pronto I ended up getting thinner gaskets 1200 and the stock the bolt just those not line up even I put one side and the other is off by like a 1/16 like the heads where milled a lot I work on cars for years fords you know I changed lol but never had this problem this is holding me from putting this nice motor in my car

I had a similar issue. I couldn’t use the rubber seals either because the intake would sit too high.
I ran a bead of The Right Stuff across the front and back.

D

So if you bolted the intake to one head the other side would be up off the surface of the head by that amount? Sounds like the heads might be milled not just a light clean up.

I tried with out gaskets and its good so I guess I should ask that question before I got the heads. That sucks cause compression is going be a little too high

This is a very common issue on a rebuilt engine, especially if different heads are used.

If the intake bolt hole are not aligned, neither are the ports?

It is almost always necessary to machine the intake for proper fit on any engine rebuild.

I did the math a while back. If you need to drop the holes .010", for example, you need to mill the exact amount off the intake flange.

Sometimes you can drop the manifold down enough just by using a GM style thin metal gasket instead of a thicker Fel-Pro gasket.

44351d1265692326-machine-intake-mr.-manifold.jpg

I did the math a while back. If you need to drop the holes .010", for example, you need to mill the exact amount off the intake flange.

Sometimes you can drop the manifold down enough just by using a GM style thin metal gasket instead of a thicker Fel-Pro gasket.

Mine had a gap on both side on the bottom.

I held a flashlight on the front while looking thru the rear and there was substantial light coming thru on the bottom.

I had it machined .020 to .000 on both sides and then another .010 to total .030. to change the angle and make it flush. (red arrows)

this was done with the motor out of the car. I’m sure each set up will be different.

D

Mr. Manifold.jpg

What would the compression with 30 thousands of the head on standard heads with 30 over he pistons and a cosmetic gasket that's 42 thick

probably 8.5:1 ish. The only way to know for sure is to measure everything. Based on my personal experience I've never seen anybody guess correctly.

I guess I'm going to have to get all the math right so I can really run boost on this car and tune it right

The math is what you do when building it and picking out the cam. The boost level is set while tuning after it's built.

I been such in a rush to built it I spent money twice I guess I'm going have to take it step by step but you know how it is when your dying to see what it those on the track lol

I don't think I can I got a girdle je pistons carillo rods cosmetic head gaskets roller am xr1 80 inj with chip from turbo Tweek and A lot of tuning to do but I hope it runs tens cause if not it might be for sale lol

One of the best things I have heard is "Faster you go, the more Sh** you're gonna break!!!" couldn't be any more true. A good tune will keep it together if assebmled properly. I just saw your previous statement "20lbs of boost and tens".....not very elaborate. What mods do you have? Do you know how to tune (specifically a turbobuick) they are fairly easy to blow up if not running properly. just warning ya! good luck though

Back