You can type here any text you want

Intake manifold question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimG

Hi Guys,
This may be a dumb question ( most of mine seem to be) but i have removed both the intake manifold and valley pan gasket, only to find a small quantity of coolant sitting in the valley. Yes, I drained the system before removing the manifold.
I wet vacced it up, but I am unsure if there was more of it, possibly leaking down through the holes in the valley into the nether regions of the engine.
Should this be a concern?
Is there something that should be done or investigated, prior to installing the new gasket and manifold?
All responses are welcomed.
Thanks
Jim

The only way it would be a concern is if you don't think it leaked when you took off the intake. If it's from the intake removal there's not much to worry about. Oil sits on top of water so when you drain your oil (which you really should if you've had the intake off) pay close attention to see how much, if any, water comes out first. You probably don't have anything to worry about.

thanks,
Yes, I drained the oil prior to removing the manifold too.
Should I pull the drain plug out again to see if any coolant drips out?
I appreciate your advice.
Jim

I agree it more than likely came from the intake, and you would not have seen it while removing the intake.

Anytime I remove the intake, I blow air into the upper rad hose which is still attached to the intake.

Make sure to put the rad cap on and block the upper inlet of the rad. Don't ask me how I know:rolleyes: This way you blow all the coolant out of the intake.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Anytime I remove the intake, I blow air into the upper rad hose which is still attached to the intake.

Make sure to put the rad cap on and block the upper inlet of the rad. Don't ask me how I know:rolleyes: This way you blow all the coolant out of the intake.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Good tip!!
Will make a note of that for the next time.
thanks
Jim

Back