Intercooler how?

ragenssjgohan

I just bought a Stock intercooler from a 87 Grand National and was wondering how to Install and plum it in my 84. and advice will be appriciated

if you can find the adp that go's in the back of the intake or buy one from speraco then it would be pretty easy. Just flip the compresser side of the turbo so it faces the front of the car and pipe it in . You could get the pipe from summit racing or have some exaust place bend it. Iam not sure on where to mount it , you might be able to buy the brackets off a 86-87 and use them to hang the intercooler or just make something your self.

Kolt,
I'm glad you finally made it here. There is a ton of info and these guys have been at the point you are at. Ask loads of questions and read read read

Whit

yea I figured I could find the Pipeing and brackets I just wasnt sure how to connect it to my intake, You say Spearco has a adp? is that an abreviaton or the actuall fitting

Originally posted by ragenssjgohan
yea I figured I could find the Pipeing and brackets I just wasnt sure how to connect it to my intake, You say Spearco has a adp? is that an abreviaton or the actuall fitting

adp=adapter :) They actually make a kit, and one of the pieces adapts the intercooler piping to the intake. Try and see if you can get one separately and see what that does for you, might be just the trick, there are a few threads going right now discussing my intercoler project and there has been a lot of talk there already.

yea they should have it , i had one with my intercooler kit, its just a alum peice They should have it and i hope its not a lot of money. There is aways a way around it if they wont sell you one, so let us know.

I've bought the adapor separately from Spearco for $50. I chose to weld my own 3" elbow since the Spearco unit looks like it doesn't flow that well for a modded car.

Ok so Spearcos email wouldnt work for me so Ill call them about the adapter, and were am I suppose to mount this IC

If you mount it in the egine compartment between the radiator and the engine, then you need to convert over to an electric radiator fan...Be sure that you get the IC shroud from an 86/7 car and the ducting for the IC...You will also need to get the front air dam from an 86/7 IC car...I think they are still available from the dealer...

I have heard of some people testing a stock 86/7 IC mounted as a front mount IC...They flipped it upside down and ran the IC tubes under the radiator...I haven't heard any results of the test, but it should also work...If you do it this way and you run the IC tubes right, you may not even need to convert over to the electric radiator fan...

I never Thought of Flipping it over and Front mounting it that sounds like a Great Option I got the shroud and stuff for the intercooler it came with it