You can type here any text you want

Intercooler opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I want to up grade my front mount intercooler and I'm looking for opinions.

I trying to get my suspension ironed out, and I want to upgrade intercoolers soon. I currently have an old ATR f/m with blowoff valve. I have boxed the front in to pick up some air flow through the core, but it's becoming heat soaked at my power levels.

Here is the list I've been looking at:
RJC mega cooler. IC-475 RJC Megacooler

The G-body parts: AP tso intercooler
GBodyParts.com Online

any others... suggestions welcome.
Here is the deal next year I might be building a turbo V8 sbc to replace the v6 so I dont want to have to replace the core. I was going to fab my own but the core cost as much as the whole units these guys sell.

I built an air to water but I dont want to deal with the hassel of transporting an icechest and ice the the track.

I'm leaning toward the RJC IC-475

I think the 475 is more for a pure racecar-the 325 is more street friendly because of the thickness of the core. the 475 went in the 8s 1/4 mile.

I want to up grade my front mount intercooler and I'm looking for opinions.

I trying to get my suspension ironed out, and I want to upgrade intercoolers soon. I currently have an old ATR f/m with blowoff valve. I have boxed the front in to pick up some air flow through the core, but it's becoming heat soaked at my power levels.

Get the biggest and the thickest intercooler you can fit behind the grill. That way it will act as a giant heat sink.:D No need to have good airflow through the grill for it to work.

I ran 107 in the 8th mile with 2 and a half stock intercoolers.:eek: I'd consider your ATR unit an already "upgraded" intercooler...lol!

http://www.turbomalibu.com/pictures/intercoolers.JPG

Big future plans

My plans for the big intercooler is so when I go turbo sbc I don't have to upgrade again. By the time I make it to the end of the 1/8 mile my intercooler is heat soaked, and I don't make near the power that I'm wanting to make in the future with the V8.

Im looking for some info on real world comparisons. Has any one done a controlled unbias test between intercoolers on a dyno or at the strip?

Or mabe someone who ran brand "x" and swapped to brand "F" and showed a gain ect.

My intercooler will be up for sale as soon as I decide on which intercooler I want to buy.

Im looking for some info on real world comparisons. Has any one done a controlled unbias test between intercoolers on a dyno or at the strip?

Or mabe someone who ran brand "x" and swapped to brand "F" and showed a gain ect.

My intercooler will be up for sale as soon as I decide on which intercooler I want to buy.

To the best of my knowledge, not one vendor has provided data on their coolers performance aside from a timeslip and MAT temps. A method which I used years ago and was crucified for "Not having all the data" on, but yet they now use the same method to promote thier own NEW units.

I have continued to conduct tests getting "all the data" that was asked of me at the time I posted my results. I know enough to draw a pretty good conclusion on the limited data provided by the vendors at this point. I would purchase the IC-475 for a off the shelf unit, for a custom unit, I am very impressed with the Garrett cores.

A battle of the numbers, Turbo outlet temp, outside air temp, MAT temp, pressure loss across the core is what we need, but YEARS have gone by and none have provided the whole picture.

Just my opinion.

There was a comparison test a few years back with very substantial data-doesnt include the newer ics. i think it was in the SOURCE newsletter-about 6-8 pages of comparisons-precisions, cottons etc. no rjs though or garretts.

Thermal imaging

I would think someone would use thermal imaging to test endtank deisgn. If you get the air equally distributed though the core you would think the efficecy would be maxed out along with air flow.

I don't know if BA corrected their cooler but Otto found the limits in their 1st version in BG last year:eek: Can't believe I still had this on my cell phone.
Photo_051807_002.jpg

I like the V1 i/c's. There are many fast cars in the 8's and 9's that use it.

I bought the RJC 475 megacooler. I am pleased with the end tanks as they are cast instead of welded aluminum plate. I wish I could give you some performance data but i have not finished the new motor yet.
Looks can be decieving but it looks like a good design as far a flow, pressure drop, and heat exchange. Some of the big dogs have questioned the intercooler, but like I said i have not tested it yet. Although every product I have bought from RJC has been a well thought out piece.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-v8-conversions/242136-getting-ready-v8-swap.html

Back