Interior Facelift

terik.m

I thought GNs are black
So this all started when I just got sick and tired of poor component speaker location. The previous owner of my T Type decided to install 6.5'' speakers in the door panel right between the door pull strap and the hand hold. . When I located replacements the blues didn't match. He also put mounted the gauges crooked in the dash. At that point I decided just to go all black like Scot but with some distinctive differences :wink:
Here is a list of the madness with a few pics of the before and empty car...more pics to come this weekend.

*Headliner done in black alcantara
*Seats being recovered in Carbon Fiber Leather with black inserts...same material used in BMW M series cars
*Dash and center console dyed flat black
*All chrome interior pieces etched and then painted flat black.
*Black carpet on the way
*Relocated boost gauge and 02 gauge to A pillar (ordered a wide band sensor and gauge :smile:)
*Dash inserts, radio surround covered in 3m DiNoc Carbon Fiber stuff
*Black seat belts, plastic trim, door panels, back seat, from a black interior 1980 Pontiac GP SJ

59373_1524692190868_1041512162_31477160_6544059_n.jpg

47367_1524692950887_1041512162_31477165_2871617_n.jpg

hello people; I'll be watching sounds like alot of work. Is that going to be in a white car?
IBBY

hello people; I'll be watching sounds like alot of work. Is that going to going to be in a white car?
IBBY

Yup my car is white right now. Within the next year it will be painted a satin white pearl with 20"" BMW Beyern wheels. Its not that bad as far as work is concerned just time consuming. The hardest part was keeping my girl from getting pissed because I used all the sandwich bags to organize screws, nuts , and bolts.

lamborghini-gallardo-lp5604-matt-white22.jpg

beyern_mesh_brg_2_W.jpg

hello people; It seems white cars are around alot these days. It's growing on me. I'am kinda liken the white car and black out trim. I've seen a few TB out there with that combo and it's nice. But an all black interior is not for me. It's all in your taste. How long to complete the job?
IBBY
funny I was just talking to a co worker who had a new Honda CRV with all leather and he traded it for another CRV w/cloth interior. He didn't like the leather. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer even though the seats where heated for winter. But you know all that.

I should be pretty much done with it by next saturday. I like the murdered out thing going on right now so why not. Besides...the GN came from the factory that way. My TType has blackout trim so I might as well blackout everything.

That sounds pretty sweet. I look foward to those pics. Might give me some ideas.

That sounds totally badass to me. I had the same sort of idea in my head for a GN I was going to buy, but I got a different one with a mint interior and I couldn't stand to hack it up. What you're doing is just direction I originally planned to go. All black leather would suit a modern-day GN so much more than the factory interior IMO, and the same would look sick on a white T!

Cant wait to see pics. Totally digging the alcantara headliner too. Its gonna be like riding in a new M6 from the inside :D

Yeah chopping up a mint TR isn't my cup of tea. My TR is an 84 with an 87 eng/trans plus it has a salvage title due to a theft so I don't feel too bad doing whatever to it. BTW...when I pulled the carpet I found the shards of glass everywhere and about $10 worth of change...hell I even found ticket stubs to an '89 Dodger game vs the Giants.

Subscribed to this I can't wait to see how it looks. Did you dye the interior yourself or have it done? How much is this build setting you back if you don't mind me asking?

Subscribed to this I can't wait to see how it looks. Did you dye the interior yourself or have it done? How much is this build setting you back if you don't mind me asking?

I dyed it myself with VHT. After two days of curing in a 100 degree garage, I did a scratch test and it didnt come off. I even inadvertently scratched it and the dye held. I bought a lot of fabric so I can do the trunk. So far the here is the damage...

Alcantara for headliner $225 for 3.5 yards
Carpet $140
Neffy Wrap Mock Carbon Fiber Fabric $120 for 3 Yards
3m Di-Noc Mock Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap $60 for 2 Yards
Recover Front/Rear Seats, Door Panels $700
A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod $50
VHT Vinyl Dye $30

I still need
Dash Speaker cover because mine was cracked when I bought the car.
Black Door Pull straps
Rear package tray cover
Laptop stand
...and a way to explain all this to the ol lady.

...hell I even found ticket stubs to an '89 Dodger game vs the Giants.

EBay those suckers! :p

Can't wait to see this turn out. This is like my dream interior for a TR. Actually I cant wait to see the whole car with the new paint and wheels, its gonna be sick!

I dyed it myself with VHT. After two days of curing in a 100 degree garage, I did a scratch test and it didnt come off. I even inadvertently scratched it and the dye held. I bought a lot of fabric so I can do the trunk. So far the here is the damage...

Alcantara for headliner $225 for 3.5 yards
Carpet $140
Neffy Wrap Mock Carbon Fiber Fabric $120 for 3 Yards
3m Di-Noc Mock Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap $60 for 2 Yards
Recover Front/Rear Seats, Door Panels $700
A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod $50
VHT Vinyl Dye $30

I still need
Dash Speaker cover because mine was cracked when I bought the car.
Black Door Pull straps
Rear package tray cover
Laptop stand...and a way to explain all this to the ol lady.
Why not also DYE the pull straps and cover the package tray with the alcantara and be done with those pieces? ;)

Did you pull the dash to dye it or just leave it in?

Did you pull the dash to dye it or just leave it in?

I left it in and masked everything I didnt want dye to get one. I am pretty skilled with airbrushes and spray cans so it was easy to do.

How bout some update pics?

Here is a sneak peek of the seats. I will update with more photos this weekend when I have time to put most of it back together. The rear seats are still at the shop...so are the door panels and sun visors.

Picture151.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Those seats are downright badass-looking. That looks even better than I envisioned.

If you ask me, THATS how the GN interior should have looked from the beginning! Great work. :cool: