You can type here any text you want

Intermittent Stumble Cruising and not Revving Out

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1987 Grand National

I've owned my '87 GN for about 2 months now, and it has a miss/stumble cruising under light load and will not always rev passed 4000-4200 rpm, but sometimes it will. It just stops pulling and sits there. It seems worse with engine warmed up and also in warmer weather. I think it's probably coil pack/ignition control module but I'm new to these cars and wanted to ask before I wasted my money.
Thanks Everyone

I've owned my '87 GN for about 2 months now, and it has a miss/stumble cruising under light load and will not always rev passed 4000-4200 rpm, but sometimes it will. It just stops pulling and sits there. It seems worse with engine warmed up and also in warmer weather. I think it's probably coil pack/ignition control module but I'm new to these cars and wanted to ask before I wasted my money.
Thanks Everyone
Hello, Its likely that a miss/stumble from either coil pack,wires,plugs,would be accompanied by a check engine light.Could be a MAF sensor too? Have someone check for codes or if you have a scanmaster,you can check it yourself. And FWIW, if you dont have one,that would be job one as you can monitor all the settings required to have a sound running GN.

I took the car out again tonight and I saw that the O2 sensor is about shot so hopefully that will fix it. Although it should not effect WOT correct?

Hello and welcome to the site!

Can you give a little more details about the car? All stock or?

Has it ever gone over 4500 rpm? Or did this start after you had the car a little while?

Rick

If the engine feels like it's hitting a brick wall at 4500 RPM's...then I'd guess valve springs.

The car is not stock. 67mm turbo, 72lb injectors, Turbo Tweak 93 octane chip, Walbro double pumper w/hotwire, and a few other things. I bought the car as it is and the previous owner did say he put comp cams valve springs in it not long ago. I believe they were done by Jim Dunn at Buick Turbo Performance.

If the springs are 980's...they won't take long to soften up with higher revs.

If it skips while under acceleration than it might be a bad ignition control module.

Real easy to check with a test light. crank the engine. see if it lights up.

I had a faulty coil pack followed by a faulty ICM
Neither set off any check engine lights or any scan master codes.

When my coil pack took a shit the car would only run on 4 cylinders.
Made the car sound like it had a major exhaust leak, felt like alot of back pressure in the exhaust,
wouldn't build more then 6 psi of boost, and had zero power. Didn't throw a single code!

When my ICM shitted out I would be running WOT and the car would just cut out,
almost like a skip for a few seconds...then get back on it...then skip....repeat.
It was super annoying because it seemed like it went away, then it would just skip again out of the blue

If it pulls smooth to the same rpm evrey time then flattens out I would take a look at the valve springs like scooby says..
Do you know what springs where put in?

Back