Intersting Article About Home brewed Race Gas

Skylark-69

Blend Your Own Race Gas? Not.

If you’re a regular reader of the VetteNet mail list or visitor to the techie boards on the Corvette Forum, you’ve heard of other do-it-yourself additives said to improve gasoline. Unfortunately, a lot of that is urban legend. The executive summary of "DIY race gas" is: mixing it can be dangerous. You sometimes loose performance. You don’t save money.

Some of these DIY additives are: aniline, benzene, toluene, xylene and propylene oxide. Forget the first two. Both are highly toxic. Aniline is absorbed through the skin and impairs your blood’s ability to carry oxygen. Handle aniline improperly and you die. Benzene is a carcinogen, so you’ll die after improperly handling it, too–it’ll just take longer. Their toxicity and that they are used in making drugs has aniline and benzene Federally-regulated and not available to the public.

The aromatic hydrocarbons ("aromatics"), toluene and xylene are octane improvers. Significant amounts of toluene and lesser amounts of xylene are already in pump and racing gasolines. Both are available from automotive paint suppliers. Both are mildly toxic. Work with them wearing chemical-resistant gloves and in a ventilated area. If there’s any question about ventilation, wear a respirator.

In California, law restricts aromatics to 30% of a gasoline blend. Elsewhere it may be as much as 40%. The effect additional toluene or xylene has on pump gas is unpredictable for two reasons: 1) the octane boosting ability of both is less effective on premium pump gases than on regular grade gas because of the aromatics premium gases already contain, 2) toluene and xylene have high octane ratings alone but lower octane when blended with other gasoline components.

Toluene and xylene have specific gravities higher than pump gas so the more of them you add, the leaner you need to calibrate the engine’s air/fuel ratio. Once you calibrate for toluene- or xylene-spiked, DIY racing gas; don’t go back to running conventional gasoline until you recalibrate to a richer mixture or you’ll be burning pistons.

"Adding more toluene," Tim Wusz told us, "will increase the octane numbers of the gasoline, but when you get above 45 or 50%, throttle response is poor and the flame speed is reduced to where increasing amounts of fuel are still burning as combustion gases are forced out the exhaust valve. Once that happens, power is lost, not gained." Image: author.

Both have less volatility, so engines burning gasolines laced with high concentrations can be more difficult to start when cold.
In addition to handling, mixing, calibration, drivability and performance problems associated with DIY race gas, it has a lousy business model, too. A late-model Corvette with a medium-boost, aftermarket supercharger kit at the drag races on a warm day might need 97.2-oct. to keep the engine out of detonation. Toluene, used as a blending component, is 103.5-oct. To make 10-gal. of 97.2-oct., DIY race gas (1:1, 91-oct. unleaded and toluene) costs $42.80. Do it with 91 and 100 unleaded gasolines, you mix 3:7 for $32.05. Because a 1:1 mix of toluene and pump gas costs you performance and throttle response due to slow burn speed; not only is DIY race gas a lot more expensive, but it won’t perform as well, either.

The economics of xylene are worse than toluene. Xylene from industrial sources is "mixed-isomer" and has less octane boosting ability than toluene and a higher unit cost. The higher octane, single isomer varieties of xylene, typically obtained through science and laboratory supply businesses, are obscenely expensive, upwards of $100 per gallon.

Misunderstanding surrounds propylene oxide. Common uses for it are pesticide and fumigant. While the EPA lists it only as a "probable carcinogen," ingesting propylene oxide will at least make you sick and can cause coma or death. Use care when handling it. Some racers are under the impression "P.O." is an octane booster, but it is not. It is an oxygenate that works like nitrous oxide but not as well. "It will improve performance," Wusz stated, "but the mixture must be richer to take advantage of that. PO is more effective than MTBE but less effective than nitrous. The downsides of PO are: 1) it attacks plastic and rubber parts in fuel systems and 2) its low, 95 deg. F boiling point gives it a tendency to easily escape from a blend leaving the DIY race gas blender with a gasoline which he thought contained a certain amount of PO, but in reality, may have retained far less of it. This makes tuning exceedingly difficult."

Bottom line: brewing your own race gas a foolish move for a lot of reasons. You’re better off buying it ready-made.

Info came from Tim Wusz.

Interesting read.

I've never made my own race gas and probably never will. But that's mainly due to the fact that I am really lazy. :D

I have to pick a few nits - aniline and benzene are also aromatics. In fact, benzene is the "parent" aromatic since all aromatics are chemically modified benzenes by definition. Second, he doesn't give sources for his very low blending octane, and for his assertion that mixed xylenes have lower blending octanes than toluene, which is in disagreement with the gasoline FAQ that Bruce Hamilton put together (which does list sources). Also, while it is true that the three isomers of xylene differ in their blending octane rating, that rating is not decreased by using a blend of all three and that rating is at least as high as toluene, again according to the sources in the gasoline FAQ. Third, the recommendation on the gnttype list and here is to go up to about 25% or maybe 33% toluene/xylene but not higher. That puts the final concentration in the 50-60% range, about where he says driveability problems get noticeable. Gee, coincidence or an intelligent application of one way to get higher octane fuel? Fourth, most race gas has a different specific gravity than pump gas (especially av gas for those who use it), and I think most of us expect to need to retune the timing and air/fuel ratio when switching between pump gas and race gas - most of the point of going to race gas is to raise the timing and boost, isn't it :).

He is right that you should always start with the highest octane fuel you can. It is a waste of money to blend 87 octane and touene to make 93 octane when you can buy 93 octane for less. If you have 100 octane unleaded available it will probably be cheaper to blend that and 93 octane to get in the mid-90's, or to run the 100 octane instead of blending 93 and 25-30% toluene/xylene to try and make your own 98-100 octane. But, if you can't get unleaded race gas locally and don't want to put lead in your system, it can make sense to blend your own.

And that brings us to my biggest peeve of all - a complete misunderstanding of the difference between an oxygenate and an oxidizer. Nitrous oxide is an oxidizer, just like the oxygen in the air. Mix it with fuel, add a spark, and you get combustion. Nitromethane is similar. MTBE, ethanol, and propylene oxide all contain oxygen, it is true, but what that really means is that those molecules are already "partially oxidized" - the oxygen is in a form close to what it will be when the rest of the molecule burns. That means that 1: it does not contribute to combustion because that oxygen has already been "used", and 2: you will get less energy out of burning that fuel than one just like it without the oxygen because the energy that is released when that oxygen is incorporated into the molecule gets extracted back at the refinery and not in your cylinders so oxygenated fuels give lower fuel mileage. MTBE, ethanol, and propylene oxide all have high octane ratings but they are NOT oxidizers like nitrous oxide (and nitromethane), they are oxygenates, and there are lots of oxygenates with low octane ratings but you don't hear about them because we care about high octane :). Aromatics in gasoline produce more soot than the epa likes, so they (and the CARB in CA) started limiting the percentage of aromatics in gasoline. It also turns out that if you burn an oxygenated fuel the emissions of hc and co go down some - think of it as an oxygenated fuel molecule needs to go through fewer chemical steps to be completely burnt than a nonoxygenated fuel, and if each step is 99.9% completed but there are fewer steps then in the end you will have less pollution from that 0.1% that didn't do right at each step, even if you have to burn a little more fuel at each step to get the same energy out. So the epa and carb started requiring oxygenates in fuel, and the refiners needed something besides aromatics to raise the octane, and MTBE and ethanol let them kill two birds with one stone. Gas mileage dropped, they claim total air pollution decreased, and the pump octane rating stayed the same but since lead and aromatics raise the octane rating in a chemcially different way than the oxygenates and that difference is much more obvious in a boosted engine than in the test engine used to get the R+M/2 pump rating we can't run as much boost as we could back in the late 1980's.

[Okay, I feel a little better now :). Oh, methanol, ethanol, and isopropanol are all oxygenates, not oxidizers, and their benefits in alcohol injection come from cooling effects giving an apparent octane boost (just like going from a 190 to 160 thermostat) plus their reasonably high blending octanes. Repeat after me: oxygenates are not oxidizers, oxygenates are not oxidizers, oxy - hey, what's that jacket for? I dont' like those long sleeves! Hey, where are you taking meeee ..... :) :) ]

As a chemist, I agree with Carl over the Vette artcile. There are lots of holes the artcile, and Carl did a great job of exposing them. :)

After reading your post ijames, my head hurts. I think it's full. Thanks for the lesson, I'm quite impressed.

All I know is that xylene works. My wife "helped" me by putting in a few gallons of premium (91) in my car after she drove it. I always run 100UL on the street with 22# - 23# of boost. When I punched it after the 3 gallons of "premium" were added, I got 5.8* of KR at around 26 mph! I went to Home Depot, added 1 gallon of xylene, and wala, the KR is now gone - I ran it up to 80mph at 23# of boost with no KR.

As a chemist,
What kind, Rich? I'm an analytical chemist specializing in Fourier transform mass spectrometry instrumentation, although for the last 4 years I've basically been doing non-chemistry stuff for a small biotech equipment manufacturer. Oh, do you know who has a GN with IL tag "SLOO POK"? He parked next to me for a week in the hotel parking lot at the mass spec meeting in Nashville the week after the Nats but I never ran into the driver.

Analytical. :)

Spent quit a long time running HPLC, GC and GC/MS for environmental labs. Did a little stint with Caterpillar testing fuels and oil. Now I'm with BP Amoco Chemicals (acrylonitrile), but trying to get back into fuels.

FTMS is cool. I always thought FT and MS together would be very powerful, but never used one.

No idea on SLOO POK.