Is E-85 corrosive?

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I think I read somewhere that E-85 eats up carburetors, fuel tanks, lines etc… Is that true?

Claude.

Methanol is extremely corrosive. Ethanol except as Chuck has stated is not corrosive.

It's hygroscopic.. Attracts water, which in turn, causes rust and...???

This is the issue. As long as you keep cycling fuel through it and don't let it sit and absorb water, E85 is fine.

But it's a great solvent. So if there's a bunch of crud in your fuel system, it'll strip it off the walls of the tank or the lines, and it ends up in the carb or the injectors. Change your fuel filter after the first few tanks if you switch from gas to E85.

The rubber it supposedly attacks has usually already been compromised, too. The difference is gasoline will swell a rubber line or gasket that absorbs it, sealing the leak. E85 just runs out through the holes.

This is the issue. As long as you keep cycling fuel through it and don't let it sit and absorb water, E85 is fine.

But it's a great solvent. So if there's a bunch of crud in your fuel system, it'll strip it off the walls of the tank or the lines, and it ends up in the carb or the injectors. Change your fuel filter after the first few tanks if you switch from gas to E85.

The rubber it supposedly attacks has usually already been compromised, too. The difference is gasoline will swell a rubber line or gasket that absorbs it, sealing the leak. E85 just runs out through the holes.

THIS !!!

How long does e85 have to sit before it starts to absorb water? Week , month, 3 months ?

How long does e85 have to sit before it starts to absorb water? Week , month, 3 months ?

Too many variables .. it can sit for 6 months and absorb 0 .... or it can sit for 2 weeks and absorb ounces

IF its treated it can sit for a long while with ZERO impact

That would depend on if it sealed off from air and if the air has moisture in it. Humid summertime will be worse than cool dry air. A climate controlled garage would be a nice thing to have in the mix.

Been using this for 2 years now...no issues. Put it in EVERYTIME I fill up
10270_Safeguard_800x950.jpg

I just pulled the tank on my Ttype that has been sitting for a year. The E85 looked very clean. Very clear. I did have Stable in it for what it's worth. I also tested it and it came out to E87

I just pulled the tank on my Ttype that has been sitting for a year. The E85 looked very clean. Very clear. I did have Stable in it for what it's worth. I also tested it and it came out to E87

Did you test it before storing? Wonder if it gained a couple points like a fine wine. Don't think it works that way though. :)

No unfortunately I did not. I've heard some members say that it slowly goes up in alcohol content but I ki da doubt that