You can type here any text you want

Is everyone here happy with their brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Captain Mark

I just got the car and I am not sure how good the brakes are. They seem to be pretty high quality. Anyone have brake problems and had to upgrade?

Well mine seem to have enough power to take all the weight off the rear at 120mph and cause a minor slide (oops) so I would have to say they are good enough stock.

I installed a set of ceramic pads, earls stainless Steel brake hoses, and went to dot 4 brake fluid.This was a tremendous difference from the stock 20,000mi 13 year old pads,hoses,and fluid.Pedal has a firmer feel for sure,and 100+mph stops are much more pleasent.

Thanks Wes. I may try that. I noticed at 100 + mph braking, the car shakes a little more than I like. I will probably do what you did.

Wes, I was thinking of doing the same mods this winter. Which pads did you go with?

I had to replace a front caliper once, it was pretty expensive, I think the part was off a corvette. I also upgraded to the Earl's stainless steel lines, Dot 5 conversion, and Performance Friction pads. It seems to stop pretty quick, but nothing compared to an ABS system.
~Murt

Carquest pads they're made by raybestos.Make sure you turn the rotors Captain Mark that has some to do with the vibration.Dot 5 is a silicone based fluid and will not mix with dot 3-4 mostly used by road racers and such.Didn't want to blow my lines out for it.Although I did bleed mine till the fluid was clear.

Yeah, I checked my rotors and they looked pretty bad. I'll get those turned and get some new pads. Then we'll go from there.

Originally posted by Murt TTA
I had to replace a front caliper once, it was pretty expensive, I think the part was off a corvette. I also upgraded to the Earl's stainless steel lines, Dot 5 conversion, and Performance Friction pads. It seems to stop pretty quick, but nothing compared to an ABS system.
~Murt
ABS only functions when you have wheel lock up. It in no way adds pedal feel or assist. Most of the racers who run show room stock categories disable to ABS to allow more driver control.
As a matter of fact, the brakes on the TTA's should be simply awesome as the factory gave them the complete set up as used on the 1LE package cars. This included:
aluminum dual piston front calipers from the Corvettes
12" front rotors (from the b body wagons and police package)
PBR single piston rears.
The rear rotor should be atleast 11" if not 12's.
Definitely hard to beat. As others mentioned, stainless hoses and fresh fluid can go along way as can a quality brake pad.
Any vehicle can warp the rotors if you ride the brake pedal too much. Thats the only thing that would cause a shake when stopping.

I was told the car still has original pads and the rotors have never been turned. Only has 24,000 miles. The rotors are pretty worn, so I think that is where my vibrations is coming from.

Back