Is the AOD catching on?

ijames

Back in January and February Chris described his AOD kit for the TR's but I haven't really seen anything about it since, beyond Lou's install. Are any other regulars here on tb.com using it yet? Must it be manual shift, even without a transbrake, at the track or on the street? What's the total cost, built to handle say 750-800 rwhp, with converter (oh, are lockup converters available)? Chris, if you could give a brief summary that would be great.

So in the last five months Lou got his customer's unit installed, you are getting closer to getting yours in, and no one else has tried this combo?

Lou installed the AOD from CK Performance in my TR. The car has a 278 cubic inch stage stage II. The car has been dyno'd at 720 RWHP and 718 ft lbs of torque. The AOD has a trans brake and a manual shift valve body. At 70 MPH in OD my tach reads about 2400 RPM. I am very happy with the install and the performance of the transmission.

Please contact Chris at CK Performance for pricing and Lou Czarnota at lou@turbolou.com for installation details. The CK Performance WEB site has quite a few pictures of the car, transmission and cross member. Look for a grey regal turbo-t this is the car the transmission is installed in

Its good to see your happy with your purchase. Could you elaborate a little more on the performance aspect of the car? Like how much of a difference is it over your old tranny, How easy or hard is shifting it, what converter are you using with it (stall speed aswell), have you tracked it yet with this tranny? if so how does it perform under load?

thanks

The old trans was a built 200R4 and it last 3 or 4 WOT starts after the stage II motor was installed before it no longer functioned. There is no comparison between the 200R4 and the AOD. The AOD setup is considerably stronger. The AOD is easy to shift and the gear changes are very firm, it will spin the tires on the change from 1st to 2nd and I have 275/60/15 BFG drag radials on the car. The shifts are made at 7000 RPM. The converter was built by CK Performance and it has a 3400 stall. I have not gone to the track as I do not have a roll bar in the car. The transmission performs flawlessly under load, not once have I felt or heard anything that would cause me concern. I would recommend to anyone wanting to go this route that they utilize a manual shift valve body. This trans does not have compression braking which means it coasts when you let off the gas, this is desireable because it allows you to downshift when comming to a stop without putting a drag on the motor. I hope this help and again I would suggest you contact Lou at Lou's Auto Service or Chris at CK Performance for information beyond what I have supplied.

J, thanks for the info. A buddy spoke with Chris last week and was told a complete AOD setup with converter ready to bolt in was well over $3000, maybe $3500. A stockish turbo 400 and good converter is going to total $1500 to $2000 by the time you get it in the car (with no labor), and a fairly stoutly built one would add another $500; we just have to ask ourselves if that OD is worth $1000-1500 :).

I would go the AOD route too just give me 4000 stall , lockup, 5 year warrenty and ill get the visa card out

there are a few guys in ottawa who may soon lay claim to your title.better beware.enjoyed the trip

Glad you had a good time, i was busy swapping tranny's with a stocker, until i get it sorted out. I guess the 5 year AOD warranty is a no go:(