Is the GN/TurboRegal a Musclecar?

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
My son and I have this debate sometimes. He mostly just busts my chops. We have Forza 3 and I went to put my Buick in the Musclecar challenge and it wouldn't let me stating that my car was out of class or something. So he started popping some smack about how the GN is not a real musclecar. I found this website: Musclecarclub.com - Muscle Car Definition
It has a pretty good definition of a musclecar but I don't agree with the whole thing. It states:A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.
A GNX ($30,000) 1987 money is not considered affordable to me and therefore wouldn't be a musclecar:rolleyes:

I like the definition of: it is an intermediate sized car (has a real back seat) that is based on a 'regular' model that has a front mounted high performance engine, HD or upgraded suspension and some kind of modified or unique interior. Oh, and it could lay some rubber for about 50ft.:eek: What do you guys think?

Hmmmm, I don't know if I would call it a muscle car. I consider my Chevelle a muscle car even though my GN would probably spank it. I imagine muscle cars running from around '63 to '74 give or take, but this is just my idea of what muscle cars are.

the original definition as was used to describe the original Pontiac GTO back in '64 was pretty much "full size engine in mid size car".
i don't think any LeSabers or Bonnevilles got the SFI turbocharged Buick 231 V6 installed from the factory, so by that definition the TType/GN isn't a muscle car.
keep in mind that this was just a descriptive term used by a writer at a magazine to try to describe what it was like being able to buy a 3400 pound car with a tri-power 389 under the hood from a dealership with a full warranty, so it really doesn't matter what the "true" definition is.

I found this website: Musclecarclub.com - Muscle Car Definition
It has a pretty good definition of a musclecar but I don't agree with the whole thing. It states:A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.
A GNX ($30,000) 1987 money is not considered affordable to me and therefore wouldn't be a musclecar:rolleyes:

I like the definition of: it is an intermediate sized car (has a real back seat) that is based on a 'regular' model that has a front mounted high performance engine, HD or upgraded suspension and some kind of modified or unique interior. Oh, and it could lay some rubber for about 50ft.:eek: What do you guys think?

Muscle car originally meant a mid sized car with an engine that was normally reserved for bigger cars. The 1964 GTO is a perfect example: it was combined by taking a Tempest and dropping in a 389 that was normally reserved for the full sized Catalinas. While people had been swapping in big engines into smaller cars for years, it was now avaliable at the factory. The 1964 GTO is considered the father of muscle cars. I don't know about the "affordable" part.

However the term "muscle car" has been thrown around so much. Some still refer to Camaros and Mustangs as muscle cars instead of pony cars. Same applies to Novas. I still remember seeing a 1974 Duster for sale that had it's factory slant 6 in it...and two young guys walked up to it and referred to it as a "muscle car". A Duster is actually considered a compact.

The GNX is a collectors car. Sort of like the Z16 Chevelle, except I don't know if the Z16 Chevelle was ever intended to be a collectors car anymore than it was a way to introduce the new 396 big block.

The GN/T type's are sort of a muscle car...they're RWD, they're mid sized, they have pretty much all the criteria of a muscle car...except the lack of the traditional V8 engine...instead they used instead an economy car engine fitted with a turbocharger. But during it's zenith, it offered more power than any new V8 on the road.

Above info is widely accepted stating the 1964 GTO was and is considered the Premier Muscle car as it was the first one to stuff a big engine in a mid size car. Having a long time association with the GTO (how we started) that was how that car came about. Only way to get it made was to make the engine an option in a Tempest/Lemans body. Sound familar? The goal was to sell 5,000 instead 32,000 sold that first year. It would be several years before the GTO was its own model. Look at the GN the Grand National except for the last 10,000 was listed as an option on a Regal. The last 10,000 are titled as Grand Nationals prior to that titled as Regal coupes and on window sticker Grand National shows up as one of the codes with a specific price.

No matter how you classify the Turbo Regal (notably the 1986-1987 models) their is no denying the fact that in 1987 it was the fastest US production car period. A title that irked the Corvette camp since the Corvette was and is the crown jewel in the GM line up.

So while arguments exist for and against it would depend on what time frame you are referring to.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I think its more of an old school sports car... not a porsche, but not a beater... it gets better gas mileage that a muslce car, but will still keep up and pass a muscle car.

It's a Anniversery car celebrating the Last Cars from Buick that Rear Wheel Drive..(exsept there estate wagon)All 88' an newer Regals are front wheel drive..A Grand National is a Hy-bird car..A Nascar body from Buick's roundie round days, with a Formula 1 motor from Buicks Indy car days..It just so happened it turned out to be the fastest production car in the 80's..(stock ones are very de-tuned an have to many emissions) Chevy had to make the ZR1 corvette just to keep up with it..so my vote would be a 86'-87' Grand National is a Anniversery/Muscle Car..with GNX benig the Show Car Stopper

Enjoy!

I think its more of an old school sports car... not a porsche, but not a beater... it gets better gas mileage that a muslce car, but will still keep up and pass a muscle car.

a Regal isn't a sports car- it's a 2 door family car. Camaros, Firebirds,Corvettes, Mustangs, and Fieros are sports cars.