Is there a need for a 4" MAF pipe?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Had a request to make a 4" MAF pipe today. Is there a need for these out there? Guess some guys are running turbos with a 4" inlet and a DFI setup that totally eliminates the MAF sensor. I could come up with something that could tie right in with my cold air kits if anyone is interested. I would need to know how much difference between the TE series of turbos and these bigger turbos as far as where they mount. Was told that they mount lower and more towards the pass side of the car than a TE.

I have 4" inlet on my new turbo and DFI and have been looking for a 4" MAF pipe for 3 months. I would say there is a need no doubt. If you make them let me know as I STILL NEED ONE.

I know of at least one guy who has a 4" inlet and NO MAF and he isn't running a Felpro/Fast or DFI. There is some neat stuff becoming available soon from an un named chip guy :)

Dwight Hayden

I have my LT1 MAF relocated into the upper pipe, and use a 4" MAF pipe. breathes well......

Mark,

I'm trying to find a polished aluminum 4"MAF pipe...

Also, will a 4"x 14" filter (instead of the 4"x 9") fit/work
OK with your cold air kit?

Two Lane, the 4x14 filter will not work with my kit unless you want it peeking out below the front air dam.

Guys, I need to know how different the location of the big turbos is from a TE so I can make this up.

Ramchargers advertises 4" MAF pipes.
A technical point here is clearence. I have a PT 72 turbo and Bowling Green intake and doghouse with a 70 TB. I run a DFI computer(MAF sensor). From the turbo, I have to use a 4" to 3" adapter to use my 3" MAF pipe inlet system. The clearence problem is the intercooler pipe to the throttle body is a tight fit against the 4" to 3" MAF pipe adapter. I'm not sure how I could get a full 4" MAF pipe to fit. Some fancy pipe bending I guess.
I researched for a plenum spacer, but knowone makes one for my setup. Will have to get a machine shop to make it.

For anyone interested about this combo,
The boost side housing of the turbo is against the TPS unit. I had to file material off the TPS plug to adjust the TPS setting.

I have Ramchargers 4" MAF pipe with a 14" K&N on my PT-72. I really think that the PT-72 inlet is in the same place as my old TE-62. If not, it is REALLY close, and the rubber hoses should be able to make up the difference. G McCall, I too have the "TIGHT" fit. I had the stock lower intake with the HEMCO race plenum before (70mm TB) and it wasn't too bad. The inlet and MAF pipe touched eachother, but not bad. I just went with the CAS Sheetmetal intake which apparently puts the TB a little lower than the other setup did, so now I have clearance issues. The hose from the chrome up pipe to the TB is bent a bit to make it work. There is a pic (scanned from a polaroid and from a slight distance, so quality isn't great) on my website.

Derrick

tazgn,
Looks like we have the same clearence problems. To use a full 4" MAF pipe, I would need to squeeze/bend the 4' MAF in the area only where it crosses my TB up pipe. ;) Now that would be a trick.

So I think, those that need a 4" MAF probably are going to have the same clearence problems. Nothing resolved here, but atleast noted.

So what is the problem with using a longer silicone hose between the up-pipe and the throttle body to move the up-pipe out of the way of the MAF pipe?

Scott,
I think that would just deform the silicone hose. I have thought about using a longer hose between the turbo and MAF pipe. I think that would be easier to do. And as I sit here and think more about it, the more it makes since. That would probably also move the MAF off the IAC connection.

Mine works like it is, but it's not pretty by any means.

G McCall,
I noticed you also said the compressor housing of the turbo was hitting your TPS. I don't have this problem at all on mine. I wonder why. I have ATR headers. Maybe it's just where the header is positioning the turbo. We have the same size compressor, But I have at least an inch between the connector and the turbo (probably more).

Derrick

tagzn,
I also have ATR headers. Wish I had the TPS clearence.
As for using heavy silicon hoses on the up pipe, well maybe. Sounds like it may be worth try. We would not want to diminish the up pipes flow area too much at the squeezed area. I'm keeping that solution in mind for sure. Thanks,

I have the Tomka 3.5" cold air kit and V-2 with 3" tubes on my car. The MAF to turbo duct and intercooler to throttle body tube were having a war, and the duct was losing.

I bought a PTE doghouse, which is 5/8" taller than stock. Now I have the necessary clearance between the duct and tube. However, the tube is very close to the hood insulator.

It would be interesting to know the difference in elevation between the centerline of the compressor inlet and the centerline of the TB inlet on the stock motor. I'll wager it ain't nearly big enough to accomodate the bigger plumbing needed to hook up the whopper turbos and other toys folks are playing with these days.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
I have the Tomka 3.5" cold air kit and V-2 with 3" tubes on my cars. The MAF to turbo ducts and intercooler to throttle body tubes were having a war, and the ducts was losing.

I bought PTE doghouses, which is 5/8" taller than stock. Now I have the necessary clearance between the ducts and tubes. However, the tubes are very close to the hood insulators.

It would be interesting to know the difference in elevation between the centerline of the compressor inlet and the centerline of the TB inlet on the stock motor. I'll wager it ain't nearly big enough to accomodate the bigger plumbing needed to hook up the whopper turbos and other toys folks are playing with these days.

I can testify to that.