You can type here any text you want

Ish wraps a GN steering wheel

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've been doing that for at least 25 years now at my parents Auto upholstery shop, nothing new! Plus one thing he didn't tell or show is actually there is a Much better way than fumbling with it getting it started like he did.... Here is how I do it, I take and measure the circumference of the wheel and then I would take a piece of leather cut exactly like he did but now my "Length" is the total circumference of the wheel (a tad bit shorter so it fits Snug) and I sew them together inside out, then I slide it over the wheel, center it and now it's centered and in place, THEN I would take a needle & thread and sew it all up tight and now you have a complete new wrapped steering wheel. Years ago (not sure now) if you called (Katskin Leather) and tell them the size steering wheel you have and what make & model they will actually send you a steering wheel wrap kit already sewn together in a circle to fit your steering wheel and the needle & thread..

Here is how I do it, I take and measure the circumference of the wheel and then I would take a piece of leather cut exactly like he did but now my "Length" is the total circumference of the wheel (a tad bit shorter so it fits Snug) and I sew them together inside out, then I slide it over the wheel

Scott what do you mean sew together inside out. You mean to get the stitch holes?

Scott what do you mean sew together inside out. You mean to get the stitch holes?
Nope, You turn the leather inside out so the suede part is on the outside then you sew the two ends together, then glue down the excess flaps from sewing (about 1/4" flaps on each side of the threads) once it's sewed together and glued turn it back inside out so the smooth leather part is on the outside and now your seam is nice and it can be stretched over the steering wheel to be sewn.

PS: When you stretch it over the steering wheel Always make sure the seam is at the very bottom of the wheel in the center then the steering wheel will look like it's factory.

Looks like he really cares about the steering wheel the way ....it's just thrown at the end of the clip!!
Yup great job!

Sent from my iPod touch using Turbo Buick

last winter, i tried sewing a $5 Wal Mart steering wheel cover on an 82 Trans Am steering wheel that the molded on foam had fallen off of just for fun.. i used some pipe insulation i had laying around for padding on the steel wheel frame. i took it apart and painted the wheel with some Rustoleum silver hammertone paint..
aside from the bottom where i had to cut the cover shorter and splice it together, it turned out ok considering that i had never sewn anything in my life. i popped a Decepticon badge i had in the middle just for fun, and it wound up looking like this:

418853_10151326911170441_997373644_n.jpg

after a few days in the car, the stitching at the bottom started pulling apart, so i got some Hockey tape and wrapped it up like a race car, and popped in a Bowtie badge from a blown airbag on a Malibu Maxx and it looked like this:

539789_10151454406960441_968128995_n.jpg

it looks pretty cool in my Camaro, but maybe some day i'll order one of those pre-fit leather steering wheel covers and try to make it actually "nice"..

Damn, you're talented, Scot! I didn't know you did that type of stuff! A man of many talents, you are. And you've been keep all of us in stitches ever since...:p

Bruce '87 Grand National

I always thought the steering wheel of my '69 Corvette was too skinny for me.......nothing to grab onto when autocrossing or driving like a phsyco on two lane moutain roads....so, I bought a black leather steering wheel cover that had to be sewned on, like on the newer cars with thick steering wheel rims.

Only problem was, what was going to fill the space into this new cover as the Vette steering wheel was sissy small!

Ah, my smart wife said to go to Walmart and buy one of those thick steering wheel covers that slip on.

This I did, then used 60 pound fishing line to stitch the black cover OVER the Walmart cover......wow, this worked great!

More people asked me where did I get the custom steering wheel for the Vette, and I tell them the story, just use a cover from Walmart, a steering wheel cover that requires stitching from Pep Boys, 60 lb fishing line and have at it................"Oh, jeez, too much trouble" (sigh)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back