Issues priming the Oil Pump

sholdwick

I am having trouble priming my oil pump on my 87 WE4. The motor is new, new HV timing cover with new gears and new high pressure relief spring. I went thru my normal procedure. Which is running the pump backwards(CCW) with a quart of oil hooked to the top oil cooler line. Then put the line back on the radiator and run the pump forward(CW) until I get oil out of a push rod by the rockers. I can usually run the whole quart back into the motor, But this time I can't get any oil to go thru. The drill I am using to run the oil pump labors very hard when the pump is running backwards(CCW), doesn't labor at all when running forward(CW). I tried packing with vaseline and had no luck. I have the oil feed to the turbo unhooked at the oil pressure sender block and the only thing to come out of it was the vaseline I tried using. Any advice would be nice. And I have several questions.

1) Where does the top oil cooler line hookup to on the adaptor at the oil pump, towards the middle of the motor or towards the wheel well.

2) Could I have the gallery in the block from the pickup plugged or the pickup itself?

Did you check the cover for casting flash blocking passages? Also, who built the engine? There's allot of things that could cause this. I've seen people leave the pickup tube off!!!! Lot's of possibilities here.

Not sure about having the oil line off at the pressure sender block, as changing the turbo oil feed line is what caused my need for a prime. I backfed the pump the way you described, but instead of using the drill to turn the pump backwards, I turned the engine backwards with the crank bolt, then sealed everything back up and cranked it over with the ecm wire unplugged until there was pressure on the gauge. I'd still be very careful if you're not sure if the pickup tube is connected or not.

Pick up Tube

I need to check the pick-up tube. I installed the pick-up tube myself. Does anyone know if there is check valve assmebly in the pick-up tube to keep oil from running back into the motor? What concerns me the most is I can't back feed any oil into the motor.

There is no check valve in the pickup tube. Whenever I have fed oil into the pump using the cooler hose, I did not turn the motor backwards. I just let the oil trickle down and air bubbles would burp out. I usually am able to feed about 1/2 to 3/4 qt. into the pump. I'm just wondering if turning the engine backwards causes the oil to flow back down into the pan with nothing in the pump. :confused:
To answer your earlier question, the top line on the radiator goes to the top of the oil cooler ring, not the ps.

Bad Timing cover

Thanks for the replies guys. The New timing HV cover I bought was bad. There was a cast in hole that lets oil feed to the top of the pump gears that was not all the way thru. After drilling it out with a 1/2" drill bit the pump primed vary quickly. The motor runs 30 lbs of oil pressure at a hot idle and jumps to 75 very quickly when touching the gas. So lesson learned.