It's alive! Cam Pos Sensor not all the way in!

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Cliffnotes: Backfiring under load = CPS not plugged in all the way or not at all.

If anyone remembers, last fall I broke a cam position sensor pin on my 87 Turbo T. Got a new cam drive gear from TA Perf ($65) for my 210/210 billet hyd roller cam, slapped on a new cam sensor from advance ($89) a few gaskets, cleaned up the HV HP timing cover, oil pan, threw in some fresh 5w30 Mobil one and filter, topped off the radiator and fired it up first try. That whole 1.45 inch tape thing on the balancer- WTF man. But it worked.

Drove fine at first, short on power, but still pretty quick. Took down a new Mustang GT. However, the fluttering turbo didn't sound right. Apparently, I forgot to tighten the intercooler hose onthe turbo- it was just chillin with no clamping force at all! In was wondering why I couldn't light the tires at 45 mph.

Now it has boost, but it started backfiring under load. WTF this is pizzin me off. The coil pack, ecm, injectors, chip FP reg are all good because I threw them on my stock 87 GN that I just bought trying to diagnose that car to get it started after sitting for a year. So I swapped the MAF to a known good one on the GN. Still backfired.

I know the cam pos sensor has no effect on initial timing, so I figured I must be 180 out or maybe off by one cyl causing the fueling to fire one cyl too early/late. I was puzzled. So I begin to unbolt the clamp, and low an behold the Cam pos sensor wasn't plugged in at all!!! So, I guess I just didn't get it clicked in all the way when putting it together, because it had to have touched to get it started correct? So I figure it was just barely touching making contact to get a reference pulse from the sensor to the ECM to start up.

Plugged that bad boy in and it runs very strong now!!! Like it is supposed to:)

Mid tens at 130 mph here I come!!!
10.921 @ 126.95 so far...