jack merkel engines

Originally posted by Wht87T
I plan on dipping into the 10s on my 109 block as soon as I get my 55's.

Rich,
Are you going to bowling green?

John
John, your motor work was done by the big man, Jack Cotton, right? I didn't think Jack Merkel did your motor. You should be able to hit the 10's with your combo.

Originally posted by JRSGN
Rich,

I Can't Go Bossum??
Just Picture this, Rich, Artie, Jim T, Jim R,Tommy X, T Rex, & JOE H in a winnabago going to BG..... Playing Elvis & lEd zepplin .....
Oh the humanity...........
Oh, that would be a hoot! It would be my turn to throw the Elvis CD's out the window. You sure they wouldn't have the hit squad out there at the Kentucky border?

Originally posted by Gr82baGN
I have my combo, courtesy of Merkel Performance Engines and Ron's Custom Autos, ready for some low 11's or high 10 second 1\4 mile runs. This engine has about 11000 miles on it. The car is a daily driver, 40 miles one way to work, every day rain or SNOW. I figure with a set of (real) slicks, boost set to 25-29lbs and some 100 octane with the SMC alky system set just right I might get by a high 10 second pass. I'll let you know once I get it to the track. In street trim, RA100 chip. nittos and alky with 93 octane at 17-20 lbs of boost she runs like a beast. The overall performance seems to have come together ever since I put in the RA100 chip. Before that I was suffering a bit of turbo lag. I was and still am thinking of getting my TC restalled to 3200\3500. Sorry about the long post. :cool:
I'd be interested in knowing. Just seems to be a lot of satisfied customers who have street cars at this point. Can't wait to get some real data on Merkel engines at the track.

Oh, that would be a hoot! It would be my turn to throw the Elvis CD's out the window. You sure they wouldn't have the hit squad out there at the Kentucky border?

Art,

We wouldn't get thru Ohio :eek: .... Don't forget "BATBOY" He would be on our Tail With the Rupture, Looking to get even with Richie......

Back to the Post...........Has anyone gone 10's With a Merkel 109???

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt

I think the Led Zep CD would go out the window first Artie:D :D

Originally posted by njturbo
I think the Led Zep CD would go out the window first Artie:D :D
They have already kissed the pavement compliments of Richie at Bristol 2001. I still say a prayer for my lost CD's each time I pass mile marker 56 on I 81 south in Virginia.... It's now your turn to lose a few CD's! :)

Art,

We can throw Travis in the winny...........

We'll have Elvis in the back & robert plant up front......
The Look on Richie's face..............Priceless.....

Art,

We can throw Travis in the winny...........

We'll have Elvis in the back & robert plant up front......
The Look on Richie's face..............Priceless.....

:D :D :D

Art,

We wouldn't get thru Ohio :eek: .... Don't forget "BATBOY" He would be on our Tail With the Rupture, Looking to get even with Richie......

Back to the Post...........Has anyone gone 10's With a Merkel 109???
Rapture, what's that, an 80's Blondie song? :)

I hear Batboy is running a Kenny Dutweiller prepared LC2.....now if that is indeed true is it any wonder WHY he has not been caught and to the best of my knowledge still at large????? Hmmmmm Think about it, maybe he's running a S2 twin turbo set up in that Mini Cooper....twin turbo....real light car.....elusive driver like Batboy all adds up to trouble and a multiple state chase.

As far as throwing CD's out the window that was in my younger less mature days back when I was stuck up, now some maturity has set in and I realize that that was wrong and throwing someone personal property out the window on a lonely highway in Tennesse was wrong.

While it is true that most if not all Led Zep and E CD's should be tossed, stomped on and ground into itsy bitsy pieces then burned to remove and remaining dust particles it was wrong on my part.

Now whats the fastest anyone has run on a Merkel 109 block and how has it held up to date?

Rich,
With the sticker on the back of your car I didnt think so either, but I just had to ask. Some of my centreal florida buddies are bugging me to go. I havent decided yet. I could really care less about being a member or whatever. I just wanna see some nice buicks and put down a good number.

Art,
Although I am running some of cottons parts (turbo, intercooler) the only motor work that was done was a set of heads a new intake and plenum. Which was done by me and a friend of mine.
I gotta give myself some props. I should be graduating a year early (whoooo hoooo) I cant wait to bring the buick back to NJ and hang with the JCC crew.

I'll keep you guys posted on the new times.

John

Originally posted by Wht87T
Rich,
With the sticker on the back of your car I didnt think so either, but I just had to ask. Some of my centreal florida buddies are bugging me to go. I havent decided yet. I could really care less about being a member or whatever. I just wanna see some nice buicks and put down a good number.

Art,
Although I am running some of cottons parts (turbo, intercooler) the only motor work that was done was a set of heads a new intake and plenum. Which was done by me and a friend of mine.
I gotta give myself some props. I should be graduating a year early (whoooo hoooo) I cant wait to bring the buick back to NJ and hang with the JCC crew.

I'll keep you guys posted on the new times.

John
Oh, I was wrong then. I thought Jack Cotton had put a cam in. Either way, although your times are awesome, it doesn't do us any good in finding out if anyone has run any impressive times with a Merkel engine with any sort of reliability.

i wish some people would post what they went too on his engines i guess ill have to post my times as soon as its broken in and i take it to the track. im hoping to just dabble with the low low 11's without breaking too much with his engine and my mods. ill let you guys know in a month or so:D

Art

I wouldent have any reliability in a merkel engine either. lol
I'm still running the stock cam. I dont wanna change it unless I wipe it out.

John

John,

Bowling Green would be the place to get your 10 cause no one will bug ya about safety or a rollbar.

So if you're gonna go have fun.

I recall a few years back my buddy had a set of 302 heads and a set of 351 heads for rebuild. He was on a budget so Mr. Merkel suggested that the 302 heads would be cheaper to do than the 351's because the guides needed to be replaced on the 351's.

When we go to pick up the completed heads, surprise, guides were replaced on the 302 heads :mad:

Answer: Oh, we replace the guides all the time.
Are you %$#@*^% crazy was my reply.:confused:

Needles to say, make sure you explain everything VERY CAREFULLY to this guy at least TWICE. :rolleyes:

Rich

Hmm... I was thinking about that, thanks for the info. Runnin' that kind of number without anything still dosent sink well. The buick will prob get what it needs when I get back to NJ.

John

Hi Turbosix6,

I don't know of your buddys situation you had but I know in the past when the name Jack Merkel has come up on here that there was some confusion as there is a Jack Merkel in Long Island and the Jack Merkel in New Jersey.

This is just for info purposes only.

Originally posted by 8scbuick
Does anyone have the phone number for bobby in CT.I`m looking for a machine shop.
Tony
RPE Machine - (860) 953-1342. Bobby's a great guy and knows his stuff. Anyone that can build a bottom end that Eric Rankin can't break has my vote. :)