You can type here any text you want

JE rings with moly insert/inlay?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike T

Just received a new set of JE file to fit rings and the new rings have a moly insert rather than the coating that the older ones did. Exact same part number just a different style ring. When did this change?

Not the actual photo of the rings but close in appearance.
The top ring looks like it has a groove cut in the face that is filled with a moly insert or inlay for a lack of a better term.

top ring inlay.jpg

Last edited:
There's probably a slight bevel on both edges that knocked off the moly coating.

There's probably a slight bevel on both edges that knocked off the moly coating.

Maybe? I have two sets of the older style to compare them to and there has definitely been some changes. It appears to extend deep into the ring gap.... I'll cut a gap to see if goes away.

Locating dots are smaller and in different locations as well when compared to the older rings.

The photos below both are new never ran top rings. The one on top is the ring I just received.

IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

Pictures can be deceiving as our camera, flash, and my monitor can change the look of things....

...but I'm not 100% sure your new rings are moly. In real life under natural lighting is the face coat a light flat gray?

In real life under natural lighting is the face coat a light flat gray?

The face of the older rings are about the color of a pencil lead and the strip in the new ring is about the color of a dull nickel. It's a stand out difference when you look at them side by side.

Looks legit.

Thanks for taking the time to find that. I haven't found much that really illustrates the cross section like your link did.

I figured this would be something easy to explain. I'll probably call JE to confirm that the rings aren't packaged wrong.

Last edited:
Mike is the new top ring barrel faced or rounded slightly as I suppose the old style ring was?
Or did they change the face profile also?

What is the part # of the rings you have now?

It's the same part number that I've been using J100F6-3820-5 JE PRO SEAL. Maybe the difference in appearance is due to some sort of tooling or process changes they have made.

Mike is the new top ring barrel faced or rounded slightly as I suppose the old style ring was?

That's a tough call. The profiles look about the same but if we were being very critical the new ring may have a slightly flatter face.

Barrel faced.

Bore (in): 3.820 in.

Bore (mm): 97.028mm

File Fit: Yes

Top Ring Thickness: 0.178 in.

Second Ring Included: Yes

Second Ring Thickness: 0.178 in.

Oil Ring Included: Yes

Oil Ring Thickness: 0.190 in.

Oil Ring Tension: Standard

Oil Ring Tension Rating: 11-12 lb.

Gapless: No

Top Ring Material: Ductile iron

Top Ring Facing Material: Plasma-moly

Notes: Barrel face D-wall torsional top ring, taper face D-wall reverse torsional second ring with full seal flex vent style oil ring.

Last edited:
Back