Jeep steering shaft swap problems

Brandon706

For you guys that is fimilar with the Jeep Cherokee steering shaft swap, is it possible to get a bad or worn out shaft? I’m trying to eliminate the slop in my steering and I noticed that the p
Rectangle piece circled in the pic twist back and forth when I rotate the steering wheel allowing slop in the steering. It seems like that piece shouldn’t move at all

Attachments

• 3BBE5E3A-0F91-4B00-BDD8-E4D22541C0A9.jpeg
    3BBE5E3A-0F91-4B00-BDD8-E4D22541C0A9.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 191
It is play in the rubber damper. From what I understand there are two different Jeep shafts. One with a soft rubber damper and another with a higher durometer damper.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It is play in the rubber damper. From what I understand there are two different Jeep shafts. One with a soft rubber damper and another with a higher durometer damper.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I have the one with u joints on both ends. I have a little play in the steering wheel. I noticed while having someone rotating the wheel back and forth the steering shaft moves about a inch or so before the gear box. I will try to post video of what’s going on

Mine was the same way. I replaced it with one of Kirbans' shafts. One thing I miss about the Jeep shaft is that it had that dampener to quiet power steering pump noise. However, that dampener is also the weak point. Once it starts twisting, it's done.