You can type here any text you want

Jeep steering shaft won't collapse

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
How do I get this jeep steering shaft to collapse? I've tried PB Blaster, small amounts of heat, and whacking it with a mallet....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had the same issue with mine because someone painted it. I can be 'persuaded.'

I had the same issue with mine because someone painted it. I can be 'persuaded.'
Just be careful how much you 'persuade' it. There's a rubber bushing up top right under the u-joint that connects to the steering column. It's there as a shock absorber. My jeep shaft had some play in this area after I "freed" it up with a hammer. It didn't rotate much because of the little tabs that sort of limit travel, but it was enough to make my steering wheel crooked. I think it was fully rotated either one way or the other when I got the front end aligned. I took it out and put in one Kirban's refurbed GM shafts. The steering wheel is still crooked so I'll have to get the front end re-aligned.

Back