You can type here any text you want

Jeep Steering Shaft ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Royal-T-Ltd

Okay well since im working on the car and my intake and all the front brackets are removed as well as the headers happen to be off - i thought i would take advantage of situation and replace my original shaft/rag joint with the jeep unit. The original came off relatively easy, although the upper joint needed a lil' persuasion with a BFH...

upon getting ready to install the 'new' shaft i am having trouble fitting the DD on... i have removed the bolt and separated the 1/2's but, dont want to pry them too far apart for fear of it being hard to start the bolt.

Now it was hot as hell in the garage [maybe 100F] so maybe i wasnt thinking too clearly. But am i doing something wrong or have others experienced issues with the DD joint fitting. I watched the video of the Syclone guy in another thread and he made it seem like he just pushed it on.... Mine definitely doesnt do that.

Any tricks?

TIA
aaron

the reviews on the ease of installing that shaft are mixed.. some people say it slides right on, some say it takes some persuasion.. i haven't actually done this upgrade yet- it's on my list- i'd say to just pry it apart until it goes together and see how it works.

I'm one of the lucky ones who had an easy time with it. Also didn't have to notch the firewall side shaft to get the pinch bolt on. Seems like there is a lot of variation in shafts. Got mine from LSJM1, really nice piece.

My jeep shaft was no where even in the same zip code from fitting. After beating, spreading and more beating, also once you start spreading the collar open it will bind the jont so be careful there. I took some 320 sand paper to the shaft coming out of the firewall and took a die grinder with a cartridge roll for porting heads to the in side of the collar until it all slid together. I have another guy that lives close to me who put one on with no problems. There must be some small variation in years on the jeep shaft maybe? Also a little anit seize would be a good idea if you ever plan on getting the apart.

there has to a be year to year or option package variation to account for all the differences in how they fit.. i don't think i've ever seen any 2 websites agree on exactly which years to get one from- and i know i haven't seen anything like a hollander exchange number or oem part number..

The factory "D" shaft that comes out of the firewall is hollow and will get distorted due to the pinch bolt most of the time. Some cars it's not so bad as others. Instead of trying to correct the distorted shaft it is Much easier to use a dremel / die grinder like skew said and clearance the new shaft until it fits the upper OEM "D" shaft at the fire wall.

It should slide onto the shaft of the steering box quite easily as there isn't anything that gets distorted there.

The old style, cast end shafts are hard to spread, and maybe difficult to slide onto the column end.
The new style shafts should slide right on with ease, (ends spread easier)
Do you know what kind you have? any Pics?

Back