You can type here any text you want

Just curious

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lee Thompson

Anyone running a nonknurled crank in a stock block (say at least 500 miles) with no rear main seal leak?

no problem here.....

Years ago we installed the first Eagle crank, and the first batch was not knurled. It did not leak then, and after many low 10 sec. runs and more than 500 miles, it is still leak free.:)

We did other early Eagle cranks w/o the knurl, and have not heard of any leaks from them either. :confused:

im running a eagle crack with no knurl...my rear seal is BBC style though.

I have a stroker with a non knurled BA crank . On second FelPro rear main in about 450 miles , good for about 200 miles and started leaking again . Very small drip , but a drip . alot heavier when you lay the boost to it . Over the off season I may put a new one in , but this time put some .005" shims behind the seal and see if that helps .

If the crank is not knurled than the seal should be, all the Buick rear seals that I have seen are smooth.

My BA stroker crank rear main leaked from day one , I guess another winter project

Reactions: MoZ
My BA stroker crank rear main leaked from day one , I guess another winter project

no sense in putting a new rear seal in . it's just going to leak anyways . I'm just going to do mine for the sake of trying it with shims .:)

If the crank is not knurled than the seal should be, all the Buick rear seals that I have seen are smooth.

+1 Only one company makes the seals. If you look at the seal closely, you'll see a part # and they are all the same......whether you buy a felpro or the highly over-priced "club" seal........all manufactored by the same company.

I had my Eagle and BA crank knurled. The eagle from the get-go= no leak. The BA after I installed it "as is"= big rear leak, than I had it knurled= dry as a bone.
PS: If you notice the front of the stock crank has some slight knurling too and the front aftermarket seals are also smooth, so a "light" knurling (in the right direction) of the front of the crank would not hurt either.

Edit: I don't think the seal companys have aftermarket "smooth" cranks in mind when they make seals.

DAN at DLS must have a seal we can use ,I dont believe I have to remove the crank and have it knurled....DAN ,DAN ARE YOU OUT THERE????????.or do I have to install a vacume pump.:eek:

DAN at DLS must have a seal we can use ,I dont believe I have to remove the crank and have it knurled....DAN ,DAN ARE YOU OUT THERE????????.or do I have to install a vacume pump.:eek:

I've corresponded with Dan on the topic on my search for a replacement for the available FelPro seal that will work on a non knurled crank . He has been VERY helpfully answering all my questions and in giving install tips for the FelPro seal. but basicly stated he sees no problem with that seal on a non knurled crank and no other seals are available for the #109 block other than a rope seal and the FelPro . :)

Tim ,
I am going explain this one more time, there is only one type of neoprene rear main seal for the
stock block 109 Buick . There is no Chevy seal that will fit other than the BBC that is used in the
Stage 2 block. If you are not happy put a rope seal back in there! A felpro BS40613 is the number
for the neoprene replacement seal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: dlsengine@hotmail.com
Subject: Check this rear seal request
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:12:08 -0600

Hey Dan I'm just trying to find a main rear seal other than a FelPro . I've seen GM seals and they look a hell of a lot better . From what I've been able to gether thier is a 'Possibility" that a early "58-85 SB chev seal may fit . Check out the link and it gives referance to the Buick V6 FelPro BS40613 that we use and what other applictaions it may fit .

I also tracked down that the above FelPro seal can also be found in a 1988-1990 Pontiac V6 231 (3.8L Vin C 3800/FWD ) . Thinking that GM "may" have a 2 piece rubber seal available .

http://www.enginetechcatalog.com/Interchangeresult.aspx?ETPartNo=S1389&Product=Seal&productdisp=Seal

Also if you look in the TA perforamnce catalog the same seal part # for the Buick V6 231 is the same number for the Buick 350 V6 .

Am I spinning my wheels on this ? :)

----- Original Message -----
To: Tim Amez
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:34 AM
Subject: RE: Stroker crank rear seal request

No that is for a later Stage 2 block it is a Big Block Chevy Seal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Stroker crank rear seal request
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 20:14:34 -0600

Dan after doing some research . any idea if the FelPro performance rear main seal part # 2904 will work in a stock Buick V6 block ? thanks .
To: EFFY AMEZ
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:29 PM

I normally put a THIN layer of RTV on the back side of the seal to fill any possible
voids that may cause a leak. That's about it .

Dan

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:53:29 -0400

Thanks Dan . I didn't actually put it in , but I'll be putting in the new one . . and pro tips or tricks you could share .? :)

Dan Strezo <dlsengine@hotmail.com> wrote:
Tim,
I don't understand there is only one noeprene seal available for the 3.8 engine. It sounds like you
may have forgot to lube the seal on installation. I really don't have any other explanation.

Dan

Subject: Fw: Stroker crank rear seal request
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:56:04 -0600

To: Dan Strezo
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:24 PM
Subject: Stroker crank rear seal request

Dan are you selling some sort of rear main seal that works well with the stroker cranks ? I have about 30-50 miles on my new rebuild and the FelPro rear main is already leaking like a boat . If you look the towarads the seal under the car you can see some sort of black "residue" around the sea/lcrank . almost like the rubber is breaking down . If you have some that is available that's better than a OEM replacement please let me know if I can order it from you . Many thanks .....TIm.

I also heard about putting a .005" shim under the seal when installing may help as well .

If you don't knurl the crank and try the smooth fel-pro seal I would fill the inside edges up of the seal with either the Red Line synthetic breakin lube or the white grease and put a light coat on the crank surface too, along with the proper placement of RTV sealer.

PS: I would not use that dark gray high pressure breakin molly lube on a seal that is used for cam lobes/lifters!!!:eek:

If you don't knurl the crank and try the smooth fel-pro seal I would fill the inside edges up of the seal with either the Red Line synthetic breakin lube or the white grease and put a light coat on the crank surface too, along with the proper placement of RTV sealer.

PS: I would not use that dark gray high pressure breakin molly lube on a seal that is used for cam lobes/lifters!!!:eek:

I did use the white grease on the last install of the FelPro seal

Mine Was Put Together By Dan Himself ,,,,,no Knurl On Seal Or Crank And Your Up S... Creek

Back