Just had a Blast from the Past... 1987 Muscle Car Nationals

arista5

Sold, and Replaced
Staff member
I just decided to watch a video i have had for a while, really brought back some memories. Head to Head Races of 87 Buicks Vs. Monte's , Iroc's, Mustang's even the Shelby GLHS Cars...... it was alot of amusment, but Jeff Harringtons name appeared on that tape driving an Gray 86 T-Type, was the only familiar name.

was anyone here @ that the Muscle Car Nat's @ Bowling Green KY in 1987?

Hey I was there!

I drove down there with 2 other buddies in a 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0 HO, I rode in the backseat all the way down and back!

I remember my friend blowing his clutch while making practice runs and he never made a clean pass the whole time we were there. The "Crapi" was capable of mid 14's and he had to remove his homemade ram-air to pass tech.

I took a ton of pics from the event and I remember there being a decent turnout of modern muscle including the aforementioned Turbo T's and even a GLHS and Daytona Shelby Z.

nah dont know where one can get it, i picked it up for 50 cents!!! very clear, and i remember watching a Capri, Red Shelby Z, the Omni GLHS, Monte ss', IROC's, Trans Am's, but the funniest thing i recall is not one car broke 13.teens although this was PRE-NOS i guess.

i will try to figure a way to get that on CD.

Not one TR lost a race, except to another TR.

Oh, man. You've got to help us out here! I need a copy of that. Is it on VHS? Any way to copy it? Your return on the investment would be infinite! :D

i will speak with another board member who i know can copy VHS to CD format. and see if he still has access to the equip. at work

i will rewind the video, the capri was in the winston lane (right) correct? maybe you hiding in the back seat would cause it to run 15's ;)

was he a skinny guy, there was an interview after the race with either a mustang or capri owner but dont remember who he was at the time (didnt pay attention at the time)

Originally posted by arista5
I will rewind the video, the capri was in the winston lane (right) correct? maybe you hiding in the back seat would cause it to run 15's ;)

was he a skinny guy, there was an interview after the race with either a mustang or capri owner but dont remember who he was at the time (didnt pay attention at the time)

If it was the Black/Gray Capri, then that was my friend Dave from Freehold. He was having clutch probs the whole weekend until it finally gave out. Believe it or not, but he still has the car.

I would like to see a copy of that tape too.

Hey Mike there is a fellow Buick Guy down here that can make 50 copies at once if needed either Cd or tapes.Wayne actually does alot of car videos from Buicks to Mopar & everything in between.Give me a call I'll see what he charges.

Too bad they don't have a modern day version of "Muscle car Nationals". It would be great seeing Newer LS1's, Stangs, Vettes, and of course 80's muscle racing all the old "muscle cars", I think I can guess who would whip who!!! :D :D

Originally posted by hot6-231
Too bad they don't have a modern day version of "Muscle car Nationals". It would be great seeing Newer LS1's, Stangs, Vettes, and of course 80's muscle racing all the old "muscle cars", I think I can guess who would whip who!!! :D :D
Do you wanna race 80's muscle against these guys? Oh by the way, this class is run on the tires that they came with, as in Bias Ply.:eek:
http://www.yearone.com/bristolbash/bristol2002/fastshootout.html
Buick is WELL represented in this series:
http://www.yearone.com/bristolbash/bristol2002/fastshootout/gessler_gs.jpg:cool:

Originally posted by troGNman
Do you wanna race '80'2 muscle against these guys? Oh by the way, this class is run on the tires that they came with, as in Bias Ply.:eek:
http://www.yearone.com/bristolbash/bristol2002/fastshootout.html
Buick is WELL represented in this series:
http://www.yearone.com/bristolbash/bristol2002/fastshootout/gessler_gs.jpg:cool:

Sure, why not. We all know what MOST musclecars ran, and that was 14 sec. et's. There were some notable exceptions like Stage 1 GS's, Hemi anything, W-30 442's, LS-6 Chevelle's, etc. But MOST muscle cars ran 14's and that's what your average 5.0 stangs, Corvettes, and Turbo Regals from the 80's ran. Get into the 1990's, and now your talking 13's being your average ET for the "90's muscle cars", ie; LT1 and LS1 f-bodys, Vettes, Cobra Mustangs, Lightnings, etc. Not trying to bash the ole muscle cars, but some people think they ran faster then they actually did.

he he i was just looking at an old Hotrod mag Dec of 89. i found what was called the HYPERTECt Computer Car Nationals. nice pic of Lawrence Conoly running 11.7s @ 115 and Pete Barton running 12.5 @112. great stuff!

Originally posted by Bweavy
Hey Mike there is a fellow Buick Guy down here that can make 50 copies at once if needed either Cd or tapes.Wayne actually does alot of car videos from Buicks to Mopar & everything in between.Give me a call I'll see what he charges.

I am down for a copy! CD or VHS. :D

*Wonders how long before the MODstepo step in with their "copyright infringement" banter? See: GN/GNX American Muscle Car threads of the past*

depends how you look at it, the company who made it appears to not come up under any search engine, and i cant seem to locate a web address to call them ;) guess it doesnt matter anymore.....

I am pretty sure Harold Boone was there with his 85 GN ran 15.4 or so at that event. He has been around a long time and had a bunch of cars. The Chrisafulli Bros. bought his MINT, near new TTA and made a beautiful race car out of it.
He actually had a GN with next to no miles that had a gutted converter, and a crushed regulator ... that was ABSOLUTELY all and went 12.80s with the boost cranked up a little ,way back in the old days when it was unheard of to do this kind of thing!

Originally posted by EightSecV6
I am pretty sure Harold Boone was there with his 85 GN ran 15.4 or so at that event. He has been around a long time and had a bunch of cars. The Chrisafulli Bros. bought his MINT, near new TTA and made a beautiful race car out of it.
He actually had a GN with next to no miles that had a gutted converter, and a crushed regulator ... that was ABSOLUTELY all and went 12.80s with the boost cranked up a little ,way back in the old days when it was unheard of to do this kind of thing!

Wrong races, this was the 87 Muscle Car Nat's newest thing there was a still in production 1987 vehicle including the Turbo Buicks...