Just installed 50's and extender...issue

VadersV6

Car idles much better than before, but it smells extremely rich. O2's are at 900 during warmup in open loop. Once closed loop kicks in, the o2 cross counts are ramping up fine and the o2 mv's work ok. Problem is, the BLM's lock in at 90 at idle,and there is nothing I can do to change it, whether it be fuel pressure or changing the a/f on the translator. Its locked. Once I pop the gas and bring rpms above idle, they jump to 126-127. Once its back to idle, it locks back in at 90. What gives here? The INT shows typically 115-130 while idling.

I also have the 50's & extender. My fuel pressure is around 42 line off & my idle blm's are 128. You might just double check the switch settings & I'm sure you did this, but I forgot the first time I changed my chip....& that's to unplug the orange wire by the battery resetting the ecm & then drive the car a few miles.
Hope you get it figured out.

The Darkside:cool:

Drive it for a few miles, but I also read somewhere the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) needs to read 45 mph to cal the ECM/chip. Read it in a post a while back, not quoting it, I am not a pro at these cars yet!

Squid

Yeah i pulled the power wire, and did take it around the block. Do I have to sustain 45mph for awhile for it to calibrate? I dont have the programming wire hooked up, and at this point I have no idea how to program it.
What is parameter 12?

Originally posted by VadersV6
Yeah i pulled the power wire, and did take it around the block. Do I have to sustain 45mph for awhile for it to calibrate? I dont have the programming wire hooked up, and at this point I have no idea how to program it.
What is parameter 12?

It can take a pretty good ride, at varying speeds to fully learn in a chip.

A *Code12*, means the ecm is awake, and the engine is not running.

Programming wire?, that sounds like an Extender Extreme. You might read thur the set-up, and adjustments to enable all that.

Programming wire? Not sure what you're referring to...Also, isn't the Extender Extreme just for 55lb injectors & bigger?

Originally posted by The Darkside
Programming wire? Not sure what you're referring to...Also, isn't the Extender Extreme just for 55lb injectors & bigger?

I got my Extender and 60# off the phone with Mike licht, their website says 55 and larger but they are suggesting the plain ole Extender for 60/65# and under.
FWIW:D

by programing wire he meant the wire that goes to D11 On the ECU and down to the shifter cable, you need this wire to get into the different parameters on the chip wether it be extender or extender extreme, is not a big deal, you will figure it out, as far as the settings go on the translater you need to set the 1st to switches to ON position and the next 2 OFF, that will do it..

I run the MSD 50's and Translator+, and Extender.

DIP switches to ON, ON, OFF, OFF

MAF BASE to (which ever position yields the best idle BLM) 0, or 1 or 2

(Mine is set to 1)

And MAF WOT to what ever position yields the best WOT fuel results

(min is set to 3)

I don't remember exactly, but I think my static fuel pressure is set to around 42-43#

The thing to remember is, if you have to make a change to the MAF BASE (the important one for this issue), you'll need to reset the ECM and take the car for a good drive around (surface streets) for it to learn back in.

Ive had the LS1 MAF and translator on for a couple weeks already, and the dips are set to on on off off. Im set to 10%lean at base and about 35psi FP. It really doesnt matter where I have it set. It makes no impact on the blm's. I just drove like 25 miles, and the blms are still locked in at 90.

What position is your MAF BASE set to?? By that, I mean, exactly what position on the dial???

Originally posted by TurboDave
What position is your MAF BASE set to?? By that, I mean, exactly what position on the dial???
1 I think....whatever one was 10% lean. I only did that after I saw the blm's at 90. I lowered fuel pressure the next try. Nothing changed the blm's, so I just left it.

1 I think....whatever one was 10% lean. I only did that after I saw the blm's at 90. I lowered fuel pressure the next try. Nothing changed the blm's, so I just left it.

Have you tried position 2? I believe that's actually the lean position.

You need to connect the D11 wire so you can program parameter 11 which is ign on, parking lights on, shifter in Drive and AC on. The default value is 8 (at least on the extreme chip). Using the scanmaster the parameter is seen in INT and the value in BL. To lean the base BLM you have to lower this value by pressing the gas pedal to the value desired. The value will start to change once you press the pedal halfway. It will start at zero and the max is 15. If you are still rich with a zero value and scanmaster setting is set to lean, I would contact TurboBob to see if he needs to lean the chip further or he can give you further advice. Remember to reset the ECM after you set the different values. Let the can idle until it gets to closed loop and watch the BLM value.

TurboBob instructions:
System BLM correction: Parameter 11 can be adjusted to correct for base lean or rich conditions cause by out-of-spec injectors, incorrect fuel pressure, or other anomaly that affects the Block Learns. For example, if a new set of injectors are installed and they happen to run 10% lean, all the chip BLMs will high by about 12 counts. Parameter 11 will correct 4 BLM counts for each increment. To lower the system BLM counts by 12, raise parameter 11 by 3. Raising the value of parameter 11 richens the system, causing the BLM's to relearn to a lower value.

Well, I did some tuning last night before I even saw this last post.
Also, I did have the translator set to 2, 10% lean. I just didnt remember what number it was.
One question first:
I thought that if you pull the ECM power wire, it will clear the new parameters that you programmed, and it will go back to the chip defaults. Does the chip actually hold on to the changes you make, even after power is pulled?
Anyway, I had to bring my blm default down to 1 instead of 8 to try and bring the blms up. this brought the blm's up to 115. I cant believe there is such a mismatch between the chip and injectors. I have the translator set to 10% lean, the fuel pressure is 36 static, and have the chip almost as lean as it will go.(I didnt have this problem with the old chip and injectors)
I set the TCC lockup at 50mph, and set it for lean cruise. The lean cruise definetely works. My o2's drop to about .46 millivolts after 10 seconds above 50mph. What a cool feature!
Time to call mike at fullthrottle.....I figured I would wait to call him until after I learned how to do some tuning and really understood the product.

Disconnecting the orange wire will result in your chip returning to default settings.

Well, I did some tuning last night before I even saw this last post.
Also, I did have the translator set to 2, 10% lean. I just didnt remember what number it was.
One question first:
I thought that if you pull the ECM power wire, it will clear the new parameters that you programmed, and it will go back to the chip defaults. Does the chip actually hold on to the changes you make, even after power is pulled?
Anyway, I had to bring my blm default down to 1 instead of 8 to try and bring the blms up. this brought the blm's up to 115. I cant believe there is such a mismatch between the chip and injectors. I have the translator set to 10% lean, the fuel pressure is 36 static, and have the chip almost as lean as it will go.(I didnt have this problem with the old chip and injectors)
I set the TCC lockup at 50mph, and set it for lean cruise. The lean cruise definetely works. My o2's drop to about .46 millivolts after 10 seconds above 50mph. What a cool feature!
Time to call mike at fullthrottle.....I figured I would wait to call him until after I learned how to do some tuning and really understood the product.

Ya, I'd definately give them a call!! You SHOULD NOT be needing to run fuel pressure that low :eek: :eek:
It's been my experience that I've not had to tweak parameter 11, nor adjust fuel pressure more than a few #'s to obtain good idle BLM's.

I'd say you have a real bad mismatch between the chip and injectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah the mismatch between the 2 is what I was thinking, but the chip is marked for 50's, and the injectors are as well. The weird thing is, the blms are only low at idle, then go to 127 at part throttle. If there was a leak somewhere causing this, I figured it would have shown the same kind of problem before the chip and injector swap.
Would a stuck EGR do this?

My car does the same, when you hit the pedal upto a certain point the BLM changes immediatly although my BLM stay around the 125- 130. Parameter 11 only affects the base maf which is idle. Once you hit the pedal, it looks like the chip changes to cruise settings which the only way I know to affect it is to change the fuel pressure. You might want this thread changed to the computer chip 101 forum where TurboBob might see it. He might want you to send it back so he can lean out the idle fuel.

I'd love to send it back, but this is my only car and daily driver. Id have to throw my crusty ass (these things were in such bad shape I couldnt believe it) 28's back in to get around in the meantime.