You can type here any text you want

Just picked up an amp and need help with everything else!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Intercooler

I bought this amp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7917403330&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

the other day and to be honest it may have been a bad choice for what I have planned. Here is what I would like to do:

I want to put either a single 12" or 15" sub or Solo-baric in the trunk. Maybe two subs if that would be better.

As for the doors and dash I want the largest door speakers I can fit in the CSII pods even with slight mods in a component package with 1" tweaters up front. I have almost this identical setup in my S-10 with MB Quart and would love to use them again. Can all this be run off of this one amp or will I need another. What is the best way to work it? Maybe some sort of replacement for the 3.5's in the dash plus the 1" tweeter? Any ideas?

That amp will be perfect for what you're doing...
Just run 2 channels to teh fronts using passive X-overs for the components, bridge the other 2 channels to a single sub.

Components - stick with the 5 1/4 for the CSII doors. Just get some extremely good ones. 6 1/2 can fit but, it will be a lower line speaker (small basket). A great 5 1/4 will outperform a mediocre 6.5.

Subwoofer:
Personally, I'd do a singel 12. It's the biggest speaker you can get up on the shelf (in a box). Fire it backwards as well...

I'd skip the solos and go with a 12/10 with some good excursion (Resonant Engineering Se/sx/xxx series, Image Dynamics Idmax, Elemental Designs O/A series, Orion HCCA, etc...) Just make sure to get the correct impedence for the amp to bridge to (more than likely 4 ohm...You'd need a dual 2 ohm voice coil woofer or a single coil 4 ohm woofer)

I always thought it was goofy to just sit a box in the middle of the trunk...I'd try to keep it clean & put it up on the shelf

Thanks for the response Zam!

I have had an Image Dynamics 10" in my last two vehicles and like them alot. My truck rocks on the inside (122 DB) but isn't loud on the outside. I have an S-10 with the Image 10, and a 6 1/2" MB Quart component set that has a 3/4" tweeter and a set of plate 3" coaxials by JL up front. Sound quality is awesome which is what I want. Not really into pounding the ground but will take it if that is part of the build.

Give me some suggestions please. I was thinking for the doors get 5 1/4" MB Quart component set with the tweeter but have no idea where to put it. Should I put it up in the dash holes or just leave them bare? Tell me what is the best quality pieces I can put in this thing! How about the sub? I don't even know if Image is still around? Would this amp drive all of this including a 12? If you know of better pieces lay it on me. Is that amp a good one? I had a Kicker amp in my old Ram-Air and it thundered with one single 10 Image. Just keep second guessing the amp to not be enough.

One other thing...... What is the shelf? Does anyone make a box to fit it? I have bars going through where my rear speakers would be and down into the trunk to the frame. Will that make it any different?

BTW.... Why is the sub better than the Solo? I heard a GN with two SL7's that just pounded. Just curious.

OK....
WARNING: when it comes to stereo stuff, I'm really opinionated so, this is my personal opinion derived from many years in an install bay....

No matter what you do, a 5 1/4 is going to fall short in Midbass response...just a matter of cone area for the most part. With out some gutsy modifications or some addon door pods,, you'll be stuck with the 5 1/4.

The MB Quarts are ok IMO, but there's others that I like alot more.
Dynaudio, Morel, A/D/s, Focal and a few others will out perfom them. It's just a matter of power (all those I listed like some juice!) The amp you have will work, more power would be better though. You might try to pick up another of the same amp you just got and bridge them both 2 channel giving you out put of 2X200 per amp. Your other option (and what I'd do) would be to use the Kicker amp for the front and buy a mono 500+ watt Class D amp for the sub (class D amps have alot of power for not alot of money).

If you're just looking for great tonal sound, go the simple route - 5 1/4 in the door, tweeter in the dash. If you care about accurate image & stage, you'll want them to go in the kick panel area or run with some HLCDs (Horn Loaded Compression Drivers) with a good midbass in the door (this is what I do).

Subwoofers: The Solos were the original small box woofer. Their main design goal was decent response in a small enclosure. Unfortunately, they were really inefficient and overall, not much woofer for what they cost. I have not heard any new ones, maybe they've changed their philosphy on them now.
I DO know the woofers I listed will all perform as expected (impressive).

The Image Dynamics you had is probably the IDQ. The IDmax is a whole different animal. Check them out...a little pricy but worth it. The ED & RE woofers are about 100 - 150 $s less than the IDmax woofers but very good as well.

Oh yeah - the shelf is the area in the trunk up at the back seat...basically, the step up from the actual trunk floor. More than likely, you'll have to build a custom box to fit there and clear the Cage bars.

Thanks for the info! Do you think the IDQ beats all the Orion and JL stuff? I know the one in my S-10 is great and I had an Orion lender when I had to have a repair done on it that didn't perform the same. Doesn't someone make a set of door pods? Are they worth it?

What's "better" is strictly opinion.
I prefer the longer excursion woofers over the IDQ or Orion XTR type woofer.

Get the Resonant Engineering SE12. Like I said, under 200 shipped and will outperform the IDQ.

You will need some decent power for it - minimum 400 watts but it's worth it.

There are some door pods out there. Audiowizard makes them and there's another company to...I don't personally like the look of them (no knock on Audiowizard - it's the general poor design of our door panels, not his design or craftsmanship - he makes them the only way you can) but they do allow you to install a 6 1/2 easily.

I know you have experience so where do you get the Resonant 12? Do you have a link because I know I haven't seen it in the Audio shops around here. So it looks like 5 1/4's for me. Do you have a link to the best component set using the 5 1/4's you like? Then all I need is a box and another good amp to drive the 12. Sound like a plan? Think it will boom pretty good?

http://www.reaudio.com/flash_index.html

Go there - You can only buy direct.
Bad ass site too.

5 1/4s....I'd just search around. Check out the JL upper line series. There's others too. If you like the Quarts, use them. It's all personal preference.

Trust your ears.

You'll be amazed at what a single RE SE12 will do

Back