You can type here any text you want

Just replaced T top seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Timbuick

Did one side yesterday. Probably took four hours in total, but that includes all the required cleaning and scraping after removing the old seals,I used the GBody replacement parts as i couldn't afford the OEM GM ones. My initial view is that they were too small when i offered up the first fit.

They're not, they just stretch into position. I started in the roof centreline and worked out from there. The seal pretty much dropped into position in ten minutes! The one real problem was the front trim piece couldn't be removed as the screws were all stuck in place. It took me an hour to squeeze both lips into place before I was satisfied. The other option was to drill out the screws and simply remove the trim. Doing it this way would have been much simpler.
I found almost no rust underneath the seals either.

I just posted this to advise anybody that this is not a major job, just need a sunny day and no distractions:biggrin:

Something else I did. I offered the seal up as a dry run first i.e. No sealer used.Once I was happy with the fit I used sealant where required.

RAG231, I have one side GM t-top weatherstripping. Not sure which side it is though. would have to check and yes it is for sale.

sorry, no pics. I was going to, but once the seal is off it is really obvious as to how to replace it. There are five sections to the seal (three around the T top and one for the front/back of the door area. Each one has grooves cut into it and the seal is slipped into those grooves.
The seal is one piece, so fitting it without sealant initially allows you to adjust it as you need to.
Kirbans use to offer GM seals and I think Brian at GBody might be able to get some, but they are expensive. However, if money was not limited i would have tried the GM seals.I also fitted Gbody door seals and found them a good fit. That was a year ago and they re holding up fine.

sorry, no pics. I was going to, but once the seal is off it is really obvious as to how to replace it. There are five sections to the seal (three around the T top and one for the front/back of the door area. Each one has grooves cut into it and the seal is slipped into those grooves.
The seal is one piece, so fitting it without sealant initially allows you to adjust it as you need to.
Kirbans use to offer GM seals and I think Brian at GBody might be able to get some, but they are expensive. However, if money was not limited i would have tried the GM seals.I also fitted Gbody door seals and found them a good fit. That was a year ago and they re holding up fine.

Tim the lower door seals are still GM. We offer as much as we can GM. When they discontinue we try to find the original molds or a company that manufactured for GM before. We offered the original GM Main body T-top seals until they were gone. We still off the t-top glass GM seals & the anti rattle GM seals. We can find some NOS Main body T-top seals here & there but they are never cheap.
Nice write up on the dry fitting. That is the most important part.

Thanks, Brian. Also, that replacement T Top turned up after 3,000 miles carriage and is on the car now. Much appreciated!

Did the seal kit include the ones that seal the door window to the roof pillar? It is a fat seal that goes between the window and the rear roof pillar. The top corner of my door glass has worn thru mine.

Really tough to tell if that seal is included by looking at any pics in ads I've seen.

Those are the only seals I need. But if I've got to buy the whole kit. ...then I guess I'll have to.

Of course,I noticed that seal is different from the hardtop seals.

Steve. '87 GN. T-tops.

Something else I did. I offered the seal up as a dry run first i.e. No sealer used.Once I was happy with the fit I used sealant where required.

If I understand what you're saying here, you were able to install all the seals in place without any sealant. Where exactly did you need to use the sealant then? Did you apply sealant without removing any of the seals?

Thanks for the write-up!

Guys, as I recall, al the seals were in the kit. The T top surround which goes down either side of the door frame as well; the thicker seal that fits to the T top and seals the top of the door glass to the T op and also the thin anti-rattle seal that fits to the t top steel pieces which is a 5 minute fix in itself.

As for fitting, remove all old seals and gluey residue. Ensure that all the groves that the new seal will fit into are free so the new seal can be fitted.
Then, fit the new seal starting in the centre of the T top/roof frame working to the left and right.
Note; the bottom of the seal where it its to the door frame is not screwed in, but secured by small plastic plugs. Try not to break these when removing old seal as you will need to reuse them.

After I dry fitted my seal i drove he car for 20 miles or so, fairly gently to assess any rattles ( none) and any wind noise (less, but still audible, these cars are cued with wind noise!) and then took a closer look at the seal.

Te obvious place to apply sealer is the front edge above the screen as this will have most impact from wind, especially with the T top off the car. Simply roll the seal back (it will remain in its grooves) and seal down the front underside. This is about 1/2" wide along the front of the T top section of the roof line.
Elsewhere I added sealant where the bottom of the seal ends and meets the lower door seal as this can come adrift. So far I have not added sealant elsewhere. Given that it is winter here I intend to drive the car as is and then check and add any more sealant if required at a late date.
Even after only an hour or so driving the seal is settling down and will give me more adjustment o the T top locking system.
Finally, you will need to adjust you t top locks. When the new seal is in place your T top will sit higher than before. Simply remove the plastic trim, slacken the 4 10mm blts ( two at either end) that hold the locking rods in place. Then whilst sat in the car reach up with a small socket tol and clamp the rods in place.
I fully expect adjust my T tops soon and they will sit tighte as the new seals settle down
Hope this helps!

Apologies for my typos in the above post, i'm half asleep!
Finally, GM/Fisher (?) added glue just about everywhere on the T top seals.

Back