Just thought I post some diffrent converter weights

F

faststkr

I have three diffrent converters under my garage right now and decided to compare their weights. Weights were taken with no fluids.

Stock D-5 = 42lbs

Art Carr 9" n/lu = 27lbs

TCS 10" n/lu = 21lbs

The stock D-5 is a hog I had no Idea these things were that bulky and heavy. I see why going smaller increase horse power so much. To my suprise the 10" was noticeably lighter than the 9". I went ahead and measured them and the 9" measured about 9 3/4 almost 10" across the back. the 10 measured 10 1/8 across the back.

Just thought I'd share that.

very good info...are you sure they all had the fluid completely drained out??

Art car 9" had not been installed yet and was empty.
10" also still in box not yet installed and was empty.
Stock D-5 I emtied and let drain over night before weighed and was very much empty.

Also note that the 10" I dont think has the heavy anti-ballooning plate like I think the 9" has. I dont know for sure but I think the Art car n/lu has one?

I just shipped a 9" Yank that was almost full of fluid and the box weighed 37 lbs. When it comes back I'll try to weigh it and see how much less it is.

The Art Carr does have anti ballooning plates and I'm sure that has to do with the added weight the TCS. When I installed mine it had a definate better response and felt more torquey than the D5 and I'm sure that was due to the less rotating weight and better torque multiplication.