You can type here any text you want

Keep the pick up tube setup on a stag II?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2GNS4ME

Picked up a earlier ruggles motor that is fresh from the machine shop. The old owner ran the motor with this setup. My goal is to have a street cruiser that runs 10s safely. Should I change setup to wet sump setup or just order a rjc deep oil pan and keep the internal oil pick up tube.

I had no issues running a pickup. If you want more pump, you can switch to 455 hv gears which are the same as the external style pump.

A simple upgrade would be a DLS pump. Weld in a pick up bung in the oil pan. Then you feed the engine from a port below front of the intake. It will cost you about $500/600 for the pump and all the an lines and fittings but is a better system.

Avoid a HV pump with the TA pump cover (or similar) The last StageII I did with the TA HV oil pump cover (with external lines) it would PEG a 125psi oil gauge at idle. It would FILL the passenger side valve cover with oil with in 10 seconds of run time (temporarily used a -8AN bypass hose the the passenger side vavlecover to verify that the by-pass system was even working. Yep, it was. Also BLEW up an oil filter O-ring, too.) Absolutley no need to run HV oil pump on a stageII. We are running .002" bearing clearance and bushed lifter bores w/ .060" oil feeds. and radius all oil passages. THis was using a stock 4.1 timing cover with radiused passages, and the pump boss trued on a mill so the gears sit parrallel with the face. Milled .125" off the face to align the cam/cam sensor/dist. drive gears. The TA pump cover sure improves the oil circuit in these Buick V6's.

Avoid a HV pump with the TA pump cover (or similar) The last StageII I did with the TA HV oil pump cover (with external lines) it would PEG a 125psi oil gauge at idle. It would FILL the passenger side valve cover with oil with in 10 seconds of run time (temporarily used a -8AN bypass hose the the passenger side vavlecover to verify that the by-pass system was even working. Yep, it was. Also BLEW up an oil filter O-ring, too.) Absolutley no need to run HV oil pump on a stageII. We are running .002" bearing clearance and bushed lifter bores w/ .060" oil feeds. and radius all oil passages. THis was using a stock 4.1 timing cover with radiused passages, and the pump boss trued on a mill so the gears sit parrallel with the face. Milled .125" off the face to align the cam/cam sensor/dist. drive gears. The TA pump cover sure improves the oil circuit in these Buick V6's.

I'm running the HV TA pump without issues. I did find a design flaw in the TA set-up when compared to the Dutweiler cover. Dutweiler machined a radial groove around the PR valve to allow oil to flow in the machined window ports. This is needed because the valve can rotate and block the windows and create a hydraulic lock.

Allan G.

I appreciate all the input guys. I think I am going to keep the tube setup and the gear drive setup. Wish me luck :)

I'm running the HV TA pump without issues. I did find a design flaw in the TA set-up when compared to the Dutweiler cover. Dutweiler machined a radial groove around the PR valve to allow oil to flow in the machined window ports. This is needed because the valve can rotate and block the windows and create a hydraulic lock.

Allan G.

Allan, dont you have another post going looking for a different breather setup because yours is filling the catch can to quickley? Could this possibly be why? maybe to much volume for the drain passage to keep up with so in turn your valvecovers are filling with oil or maybe have more oil than they should ....just a thought... id be interested to know what you find....joel

Allan, dont you have another post going looking for a different breather setup because yours is filling the catch can to quickley? Could this possibly be why? maybe to much volume for the drain passage to keep up with so in turn your valvecovers are filling with oil or maybe have more oil than they should ....just a thought... id be interested to know what you find....joel

No, the oil return is in the timing cover and can't get up that high without completly draining the pan. I have the oil restricted to the rocker gear, and also to the lifters. If anything, the oil drainback may not be suficient for the oil I am using. I'm also running 20/50 oil and filling the breather was a one time occurance when we tested with cold oil. This is not an issue when not under boost.

Allan G.

Back