You can type here any text you want

Kenne bell canister ram air vs stock air box

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deezdad

I realize neither are ideal but is the kb set up at least an improvement over stock? How bout sound/noise, any diff between the two? Thanks ..

Its an improvement over stock only because of the size of the filter. Its as quiet as stock, but I like the noise of the turbo suckin' air you hear from the open element. You dont hear that from the stock set up,nor from the KB Ram air set up.

It's restrictive. I ran a 14" filter so some of the filter could breath, and now just removed the canister and have the hose going to the filter.

It's restrictive. I ran a 14" filter so some of the filter could breath, and now just removed the canister and have the hose going to the filter.
Would it be possible to see a picture of your set-up? I've got the same canister also. It would be helpful to me, if it wouldn't be too much trouble......I've been thinking of cutting the bottom of the canister out like another member here did...it gives the appearance of a canister, but the bottom is open to get fresh air.....am considering all of these possibilities as I know the Kenne Bell Ram Aid system is restrictive.....thanks.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Saw that another guy a while ago cut the round end off the canister & attached some kind of heavy duty hose to it leading out of the engine compartment he said it worked great

Would it be possible to see a picture of your set-up? I've got the same canister also. It would be helpful to me, if it wouldn't be too much trouble......I've been thinking of cutting the bottom of the canister out like another member here did...it gives the appearance of a canister, but the bottom is open to get fresh air.....am considering all of these possibilities as I know the Kenne Bell Ram Aid system is restrictive.....thanks.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Did you want a pic of it with the canister on or without? Here is one with the canister.

Attachments

• Buick5.jpg
    Buick5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 307
Thank you for going through the trouble of showing me this........and, yes, it would be nice to see a shot of without the canister......you are giving me very good ideas on how to solving this problem. Thanks kindly.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce '87 Grand National
Did you ever modify the canister Bruce? I finally got one and cut out the end with a 4.5" hole saw, then used a half round file to till I got to the edges. Figure now it won't starve for air when taking off n then gets outside air when moving.
IMG_20170209_120954663.jpg

Did you ever modify the canister Bruce? I finally got one and cut out the end with a 4.5" hole saw, then used a half round file to till I got to the edges. Figure now it won't starve for air when taking off n then gets outside air when moving.View attachment 297978

No, haven't modified it yet....so, you're showing that the cut end, which has the air filter, will be exposed to the hose that runs up from the spoiler, as the hose will not connect to it at all, right? The hose, with the incoming air from the spoiler ends at the top, just facing this part of the canister? Correct me if I'm correct, I'm a little off right now. Going through a bad time. But would appreciate an explanation.

Do you have a picture of this modification installed? Would love a picture, only and if it's no trouble...I know how much trouble it is to do this, as I've done it several times, going out to take shots of stuff on the GN to help people.

Thanks for the idea, too.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The cut end is the end that faces the drivers side fender, the hose from the air dam scoop still connects to the angled part you see in the pic, install is exactly the same as original just is open at the end now so it gets air at low speed. Steve V. down in Va.( who I highly recommend if you need help with your car) is putting my car together for me at the moment, when I get it back this spring I'll be glad to get you a pic.. Hope you get through your bad time ok.

So the thought is that at stand still, if taking off hard, the hole with hose attached is not big enough to supply sufficient air to the engine? By opening the other end of the canister don't you now expose the intake to the hot under hood air & is that not counter productive? I get that while driving the ram air effect will bring in colder air to lower air intake temps & gain some performance but did not think that at stand still would be a restriction in air flow.

Last edited:
There are many here that can attest to the canister being a restriction as they use to run one & went faster after removing it. Some have made swiss cheese out of their canister by drilling out a series of small holes all around the canister and some have cut out the entire bottom portion for more access to air. I chose to cut the end out cuz I think its the best compromise of looks vs performance. You could look at it this way, the angled part that the hose connects to is closer to the turbo so it will draw the air from there 1st unless its too much of a restriction then it will seek air from the engine bay... Just my theories bottom line I like old school crap and the finished look of the set up so I tried to maximize its use.

The cut end is the end that faces the drivers side fender, the hose from the air dam scoop still connects to the angled part you see in the pic, install is exactly the same as original just is open at the end now so it gets air at low speed. Steve V. down in Va.( who I highly recommend if you need help with your car) is putting my car together for me at the moment, when I get it back this spring I'll be glad to get you a pic.. Hope you get through your bad time ok.

Ok, that'll be fine....no hurry. Thanks for the idea on this......I appreciate your compassion. Made me feel a little better.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back