killed a big block elky

lib87t-type

Friday night me and my grilfriend decided to take the buick out for a drive. We must have drove around for 2 hours and not a single thing to race. Then as I decided to take the exit ramp there was my chance, a 1969 ss el camino, now I'm behind him at the red light and I can clearly see the big 12 bolt and ladder bars, but I aint scared. Light turns and be both leave slow but I swing out in the passing lane to get next to him. I roll up along side him at about 30 mph and give him the look. Thats when I heard the big 4 barrel kick open and him take off. I mash the pedal and the car acts like it was shot out of a cannon. I pulled a quick car and a half on him and then had to get on the brakes because of traffic. A little more room and I think I could have pulled more. After passing him I rember seeing him at car shows with it. GOOD THING I HAD 18LBS AND AVIATION FUEL.

Nice kill!! Some of those big block drivers think there god as I have talked to more then a few and most don't think a Buick anything has a chance against there "chevies".:p

A big block 69 SS starts at a 325 HP "396". Not much of a challenge guys. I own a 69 SS Chevelle that was a 375 HP "396" and that was the top gun for these cars in 69.

Now, I am making a few minor modifications to my 69 SS and if you ever line up against me be ready to give all you got...... hehehehe ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I understand about the factory ratings on a 69 396 motor but lets get real how many of these big block cars are stock or even factory big blocks. It may have been a 454 or 402 even a 427 who knows and who cares. Get that chevie built and I'll be waiting with the air condition on in my v6.:cool:

I used to own and race a 1967 Chevelle 300 deluxe. It had a owner installed (me) 427 big block chevy in it. It ran pretty good and honestly it was one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. It was my first *fast* car. I totalled it in 1994 and bought a GN shortly after. Since then I've owned 3 GN's and a turbo Riviera. The only vehicle's that I've bought other than turbo Buicks since 1994 have been tow vehicles to haul the Buicks to the race track! Oh wait I did have a '82 Cutlass that was a donor chassis for that 427 chevrolet out of my Chevelle, but didn't have that long either.

Someone once said: "once you've had black you'll never go back!" I think that they meant once you've had a black Buick you'll never go back to big blocks :) I know I won't!

Originally posted by Redrum
A big block 69 SS starts at a 325 HP "396". Not much of a challenge guys. I own a 69 SS Chevelle that was a 375 HP "396" and that was the top gun for these cars in 69.

Now, I am making a few minor modifications to my 69 SS and if you ever line up against me be ready to give all you got...... hehehehe ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I see someone needs some Edumacation,Then come back and post your thoughts..:p :p :p :p

hhehee

YOu can line up with my Grand National Anytime....the only thing youll be looking at is my ass end......enjoy.

lalonde441, you live close enough to me so perhaps we will get a chance to race some time, on a track of course!

Now guys we all know GN's, TR's and TTA's are quick but they are not the only quick cars. My 69 SS Chevelle also has A/C so I will be sitting right next to you cool as can be. Note that my SB Corvette is a fairly quick car and the times posted (Signature below, 12.56 at 108 mph) are with 3.55 gears on street tires not slicks, so I do know a bit about quick cars. If you are in street trim with pump gas my vette would be a good close race. The BB 'velle will be considerably faster. :D

Now if one of you races me some day and you manage to "kill' the vette or the velle it won't be an empty win as you will be able to say exactly what you killed. I also know exactly how fast your cars are with 93 octane; 100+; and with alcohol injection so I know when I line up I can beat some and some can beat me. :(

My post was to simply point out that stock 60's cammie's and velle's are not what most of us would consider quick cars, heck I think most were high 14's and 15's back in my days. This is a GN/Turbo Buick site and I won't be rude to any of you or get into a flame war. I too am here just to enjoy my spare time and add a bit to what is being talked about in a positive way. What fun would you have if the only quick cars to race were GN's, TTA's and TR's? :cool:

sounds good to me

Sounds good to me.....im not one to shy away from a race.....especially someone with an 8cyl. Guys think because they are driving a mustang......corvette whatever that our MEASLY 6cyls cant take em.....well thats the best part.....i love the look on there faces after ive smoked em. Perhaps well get a chance someday to race....im very game. Later.

Hey Redrum, good to see you here defending the Velle's. I am a member of TC also, post quite often over there. Anyway, guys I own a 70 Chevelle with a mild 427, and I will say that not much gets by me. But there ARE quick cars, like TR's that CAN get me, but that is not my goal with the car. I built it for me, and just plain having fun with it. I know from being on the "other" site, that Redrum is building a pretty serious street car. I know there are members here that are faster, quicker, and can drive long distances with the a/c on, but there is nothing like an old school big block powering you down the road. Do not get me wrong, Redrum is no street racer, nor am I, but we do blast a straight line when we want to and hang with the best of them. I do love TR's and plan to buy one soon, but take easy on us old school guys. :cool:

SS70, I can identify with you. In addition to owning an 87 TR, I also own a 70 GS455 so I have learned to wrentch both old and new school. Something about the character of those old big block cars that newer ones don't have. However, having owned both, I wouldn't want to line up my GS455 against my little ol 6!!:cool: Have a good one and keep the old muscle alive.

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

I had a 69 ss 396 nova for a few year's bone stock with flowmaster dual 2 1/2 exh and 275 bfg drag radials and went 13.1
not to shabby. oh yeah it had about 100k on it at the time.

sold it in 98 to a guy in severn MD if your out there I have been trying to find you, but you haven't even regeistred the car yet MVA last listing still in my name.

I would like to get it back.
Ice blue, black int. 15 rally's

I had a 69 ss 396 nova for a few year's bone stock with flowmaster dual 2 1/2 exh and 275 bfg drag radials and went 13.1
not to shabby. oh yeah it had about 100k on it at the time.

sold it in 98 to a guy in severn MD if your out there I have been trying to find you, but you haven't even regeistred the car yet MVA last listing still in my name.

I would like to get it back.
Ice blue, black int. 15 rally's

Guys, those cars sound very cool. I would like to own a GS455 one day, and build a torquey engine for it and have some fun. Those cars run 12's in pure stock drags, very impressive for its size. And I did have a 70 Nova SS with a 350 and M-21 for a while, sold it regretably, and would love to have it back. My Chevelle is all engine and power. I love driving it, just it does drink allot of fuel but it is only driven 30 miles a week. I do plan on installing a 200 r4 in the near future so I can drive it farther, like to Sacramento without to much RPM's on the freeway for so long. I will be racing it soon, when I buy some traction tires for it, right now it would be a waste of time, the thing just does not hook. I was looking at the BF drags, 325/50/15, that would just barely squeeze into the wheel well on a 10 inch rim. Anyway, have a good one, and will keep the old muscle alive, thanks.

Hey, don't let these guys know too much about my 375 HP "396" Chevelle..... I may want to have some fun when its done and surprise a few GN owners..... Those old solid lifter motors can be a handful..... :D

Those old solid lifter motors can be a handful.....

Yeah I know running those valves everytime after you wing it to 6500 rpm gets old after awhile:D

big blocks can run too

while i am currently looking for a TR, i can remember the fun of my 1968 camaro. after losing a few races i had enough. i bought a stage II 455 GSX motor with upgrades from TA performance(the specialize in these buick motors) custom pipes and a bullet proof th400. since it weighed only slightly more than a SBC, no one could tell until after the race. the car still had 327 badges on the side. the car was dynoed at 615 RWHP. what a rush to be in a car that pulled the nose off the ground(tubbed with mikey thompsons). but those days are over. when i wrap up th monte SS resto. i will begin the TR hunt in full force.:cool:

Hey guys when you you want to try on a "375" 396 let me know I run at Cordova, Byron, Gateway, Wentzville, and Morocco, and am willing to go farther for a good race. The motor is out of a 68 chevelle and is in my 72 Monte Carlo. Don't cheat and look at my signature for my ET. O wait go ahead I guess I haven't changed the numbers yet. And before I get swamped with hate mail keep in mind I have a TTA and totally love it. I get more races in it than the Tubbed Truck (19.5x33 M/T and a lot of blower whine) or the Monte(sounds to much like a big block), but when it comes down to the rush the monte has launching nothing can beat the shear torque you feel in it. Damn guys the picture of my launch in it, is to big to send(74 bytes). If you want to see it E-mail me. Don't want to cause problems just love to see and hear about fast cars and love getting good races. See Ya Jason

OOPS, sorry Mike, did not mean to give your new combo away...:D Looking forward to hearing about it!