killed another battery? help?

GN-231

I just put new battery into the lead graveyard today...fried another cell in that ultra 800 O'riely special.
I just got this new replacement battery at under warranty last week and it already has a dead cell after four days. I suspected the first battery went dead due to a failing fan delay relay, so I replaced the delay relay on the driver's side fender. I was sure the relay failed and killed the first battery, since the fan seemed to flicker off and on when the old battery was near flat lined voltage. Well, after I replaced the relay, I just hooked the new battery up without checking for any shorts. Low and behold a few days later the battery is dead.....
I guess I will just get another battery and test for shorts during installation? Then pull fuses if required to find the short.
1.) Do you think they will give me another one under warranty since I just got one last week?

2.) Could the fan delay fan be falsely tripped on by a bad sensor? What else would cause the relay to activate??
The alternator is fine because when I jump the car, it will drive around until it is turned off.:confused:

Thanks for the help!

Here's an easy way to diagnose a battery drain with tools you already own. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Clip a test light to the end of the battery cable. Put a bolt in the battery terminal and clamp the other end of the test light to the bolt. The test light should be lit, perhaps faintly, if you have a drain (doors closed, key off). If you suspect the fan delay relay, just unplug it. If the light goes out, you found the problem. If not, you'll have to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out to find the circuit that is drawing power (don't forget to wedge something in the door to hold the dome light switch closed). Good luck.

they should give you another one. Not that uncommon for batteries to be bad. A drain will not do the cells any good but you should be able to recharge the battery. If it lost a cell, I would not automatically suspect a drain but it could be.....my first thought is a lousy battery.

Thanks for the replies!
I did get another battery today at lunch under warranty. I just told the guy what had happened and he gave me another under warranty. This time I am going to make sure I test for a short during installation. I might even unplug that relay delay soleniod for the first few weeks to see if that could still be a culprit.

Here's an easy way to diagnose a battery drain with tools you already own. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Clip a test light to the end of the battery cable. Put a bolt in the battery terminal and clamp the other end of the test light to the bolt. The test light should be lit, perhaps faintly, if you have a drain (doors closed, key off). If you suspect the fan delay relay, just unplug it. If the light goes out, you found the problem. If not, you'll have to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out to find the circuit that is drawing power (don't forget to wedge something in the door to hold the dome light switch closed). Good luck.

Thanks, very simple and easy way to check for shorts and voltage leaks. So simple I never even thought of it..............LOL