You can type here any text you want

Kinda takes away from Buick

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trixdout

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...sie-built-nascar-races-america-050213874.html

Think this line takes away from Buick's history with the whole premise of how the GN came to be. Now Chevy wants to utter the same idea and go with something new and unprecedented? Buick has been there done that.

"This year, that drought ends with the 2014 Chevrolet SS, a 415-hp Australian import designed to race on NASCAR tracks Sunday, sell on Monday and convince skeptical Americans to give Chevy another look."

Thoughts guys?

When was there a Corvette SS?

Coupe and I might show up at a dealer for a test drive. Put a trisheild on it and I'd have a look. If it did end up as a coupe, with a trishield, I would definately be down to the dealer to check it out.

Come on GM(Buick), build it and buyers will come.

I'd like a coupe too...but unfortunately, we have to face it...coupes don't sell well anymore. :( At the end of the third paragraph, it says " NASCAR changed its rule book so that the cars on the speedways closely resembled the cars in dealerships"..Oh yeah? If so, then why is the Nascar version a 2 door when the real car is only available with 4 doors?? :rolleyes: :confused: . It's just a re-named Pontiac G8 that didn't sell back then and I don't see why this one would suddenly start selling like hot cakes. Also it looks like any other 4 door sedan on the road that go by unnoticed (like Malibu, Accord, Camry, Chrysler 200, Fusion, Audi A6, etc...). The last straw is that it doesn't even has an "SS" emblem on the front grille!!. It'll probably end up as another GM failure in which no one will be interested in...

Claude. :mad:

At least the SS release and NASCAR's move toward a more stock appearing car puts some 'stock' back into stock car racing. Perfect? No. Move in the right direction for Chevy and NASCAR? Definitely.

Chevy has a two door RWD in the Camaro and still offers their premier sports car in many flavors so the four door SS compliments their RWD offerings.

Chevy has a two door RWD in the Camaro and still offers their premier sports car in many flavors so the four door SS compliments their RWD offerings.
Sure the Camaro has two doors and is rear wheel drive...so why don't they race it in Nascar instead of a two door car that doesn't exist in the "real world"?
As for the "SS", aside from the '94-'96 Impalas, all "SS"s were two door models, but never a four door family sedan. Personnally, I think they should've called it "LS", but not "SS". :rolleyes:

Claude.

Because NASCAR has always been about 'sedan' racing. Think about it, GM pony cars and Mustangs have never raced in Cup competition. Their place was Trans Am. Granted, NASCAR attempted to make things interesting by putting pseudo-pony cars in the Shitty-insurance Company Series so shifting to pony cars could be done but all manufacturers would need to be on board.

Sure the Camaro has two doors and is rear wheel drive...so why don't they race it in Nascar instead of a two door car that doesn't exist in the "real world"?

Claude.

the Chevy teams race a "Camaro" in the NASCAR Nationwide series.. Dodge has a "Challenger", Ford a "Mustang", and Toyota a, umm, Camry..

this thread shows that some people have a basic misunderstanding of some of the most basic things in the upper levels of NASCAR racing- the last time a "stock" production body shell was competitive in the Grand National/Winston Cup/Nextel Cup/Sprint Cup series was some time in the late 60's before teams started hanging modified production sheetmetal on tube chassis.. they have been silhouette cars for 40 years now, sometimes straying far enough away from looking "stock" to require major rulebook rewrites to bring them back to something that kinda sorta looks "stock" to people that aren't overly observant..

I only said that Chevy is taking away from Buick. Buick built the Grand national and the LC2 engine based on the Nascar race series and use the quote, " What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday." Nothing else besides that. Now Chevy want to use this same idea and bring a performance vehicle to the market.

I only said that Chevy is taking away from Buick. Buick built the Grand national and the LC2 engine based on the Nascar race series and use the quote, " What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday." Nothing else besides that. Now Chevy want to use this same idea and bring a performance vehicle to the market.

the Regal body might have been tweaked to be sleek and aerodynamic for NASCAR for the 81 model year, but other than the "Grand National" name, what on the GN translates over from NASCAR?
and if the GN was supposedly "inspired by NASCAR", then why didn't they put the domed hood, blacked out trim, and GN nameplate on the Buick versions of the G body sheetmetal hung on NASCAR chassis instead of the flat hood and chrome grille and trim and the "Regal" name?
i can't really think of anything about the LC2 that came from NASCAR, other than being based loosely on the same Buick V6 engine architecture as some of the GM teams in the NASCAR Busch Grand National series ran for the weight break compared to a V8.. there was not then (and still not today) a turbo, efi, or distributorless ignition anywhere to be found on the NASCAR Busch Grand National (now Nationwide series) engines... the 80's Indycar versions of the Buick V6, however, had all of those things and the LC2 is a direct offshoot of that racing series...

the Regal body might have been tweaked to be sleek and aerodynamic for NASCAR for the 81 model year, but other than the "Grand National" name, what on the GN translates over from NASCAR?
and if the GN was supposedly "inspired by NASCAR", then why didn't they put the domed hood, blacked out trim, and GN nameplate on the Buick versions of the G body sheetmetal hung on NASCAR chassis instead of the flat hood and chrome grille and trim and the "Regal" name?
i can't really think of anything about the LC2 that came from NASCAR, other than being based loosely on the same Buick V6 engine architecture as some of the GM teams in the NASCAR Busch Grand National series ran for the weight break compared to a V8.. there was not then (and still not today) a turbo, efi, or distributorless ignition anywhere to be found on the NASCAR Busch Grand National (now Nationwide series) engines... the 80's Indycar versions of the Buick V6, however, had all of those things and the LC2 is a direct offshoot of that racing series...

well that clears up things alot. so the indycar races were where the buick grand national pawned from.

well that clears up things alot. so the indycar races were where the buick grand national pawned from.

yeah, sorta- Indycar derived engine tech in a body designed for NASCAR, with both of those things being applied to production cars in the form of more aerodynamic body shells that more efficiently utilized engines with more sophisticated controls.

I could be mistaken. But I am pretty sure "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" was originated by Bob Tasca (a Ford dealer) in the 1960s, well before Buick used the phrase.

Back