You can type here any text you want

Kirban GNX style fender vents are killing me

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nolanator

@none_more_black
I recently purchased a set of these to replace the banged up ones my car came with, but I have zero idea how to get them to adhere to the car. Whoever installed the ones my car came with just gooped A TON of glue onto the back and slapped them on and it did not turn out well.

I attempted to do a cleaner job on this set and due to the extemely small amount of contact area, one already flew off on the freeway and so here I am needing to purchase another set, and this time I want to do it the right way. Has anyone installed these with success? what did you use to adhere them?

The only part that makes contact with the car is the very little lip on the exterior of the vent.

fill the low area of vent with right stuff rtv , use a flat edge and get the rtv flush with the outer edge , let it cure

fill the low area of vent with right stuff rtv , use a flat edge and get the rtv flush with the outer edge , let it cure

Let it cure, installed ?? Or then install ?? Forgive me Paul I don't understand

no let it cure , then you can attach to car any way you want including a thin bead of rtv

let what cure? the small surface area didnt adhere to the car even after using silcone and spots of Gorilla Glue and a 24hr. wait period.

dont know how else to explain ,
the hole in fender should only be a little larger than the vents that stick in
fill the low area of the vent and let it cure ..now you'll have more surface area to touch the car ...not just the outer edge
position the vent , tape around it so any excess can easily be removed , now apply some more rtv to flat area (dont need to go crazy) and press vent against car , the right stuff sticks very well but you may need tape it down till it cures , you could even put tape through vents to hold it down

You're basically using the rtv to "widen" the contact area. You currently only have a very narrow lip at the edge to adhere to the body. By filling in the low area on the back of the vents, you're essentially widening the narrow lip to what will become a very good amount of contact area to adhere to the body of the car.

I understand now. I apologize. I'll order another set and try again. Thank you.

I used 2 to 3 layers of double sided 3M tape in different areas depending on how much was needed to reach the paint.

It worked great and they’ve never flown off even at high speeds.

If i knew about the Right Stuff trick I’d have done that leaving just enough room for one layer of 3M tape to reach the paint.

It adheres really well

D

Back