KIRBAN REQUEST

Then why did they ever do the powermaster to begin with?

they were trying to make it smaller, lighter, and cheaper to manufacture. it's pretty much just a self contained hydraboost unit.. and i think they are starting to go back that way with electric power brakes in some cars... hopefully they've got the bugs worked out this time around, i know some cars have issues with the electric power steering setups..

i love the factory hydraboost in my 84 T Type.. i love it even more since getting the rebuild kit from www.piratejack.net and making it not leak PS fluid all over the firewall..

I appreciate all the info its a lot for me to digest mostly because I have not really seen much on this format for brakes and I lack knowledge in this area. I have been in contact with several sources .. Ideally I want to bring to our market a system that has a good price structure and is 100% complete.

Since I am planning to attend the event in Chicago in a few weeks I hope to see some turbo cars with various systems on them and take photos and talk to the owners.

So far I have learned this: The unit should be new as some rebuilds can have issues. However, in some cases example the 1984 set up you can only get rebuilt. That rules out Astro vans as I don't believe Cardone has hydra boost systems new for those vans.

It also seems benefical to run an inline filter in the system so dirt and debris does not freely flow into the unit. Whether you use a filter for a short period of time and remove it but it appears it should be done. Some think filter may impede flow if hooked up continually.

I am also told something about the bore in the master cylinder if its not the proper size it can affect the way the brakes grab or work?

I already ordered some of the power steering filters of them from Cardone as they sell them. Ironically I have had very little trouble with powermasters on any of the test cars I have had over the years. A brake switch on one a brake bowl on another. Even on the 300 plus ones I sold granted they were only in my hands a short time but I never replace a powermaster unit on any of them.

I do know that most hydra boost systems are set up to work off the turbo brake pedal so its important to know if you have that pedal in your car if you currently have vacuum brakes. That pin size on the powermaster pedal is a 1/2 whereas the vacuum pedal if it has been swapped out is smaller. Its also about 1 inch different in height on the assembly.

Again my knowledge is very limited at this point. Also a consideration is the amount of distance you have between the firewall and the remote power steering reservoir approximate 13 plus inches to fit whatever system you go with and master cylinder. Ideally you want a system that accepts your factory front and rear brake line fittings so install is a clean set up.

Since I have the deep deal with Cardone I am checking to see what they offer but only in new parts to avoid issues and be competitive.

I can also find out instantly with Cardone if and how many hydra boost systems they have in stock for the 1984 Turbo Regals. That may be enticing for those with mechanical skills to adopt it to the 1986-1987. Watch for update on this.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Last edited:
I hope you sprayed that mc down with some coating or it will be rusting in short order. One of the reasons I went with the Cadillac MC.

You indicate you went with a Caddy master cylinder I assume its plastic? did the factory brake lines screw into it ok? what year & model Caddy?
No clearance issues with remote power steering reservoir?

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You indicate you went with a Caddy master cylinder I assume its plastic?
Yes, plastic reservoir, aluminum(i think) bore . I think it looks better than the big cast piece that came in the tr.
did the factory brake lines screw into it ok? what year & model Caddy?
You must massage the lines and swap front to rear port, and rear to front port. I will look. I believe it is a Seville.
http://www.autopartsexpress.com/a1-...ter Cylinder&gclid=CLDYgYDTtr4CFSsV7AodpBcA8w
Click the fitment tab for a list of vehicles that it fits.
No clearance issues with remote power steering reservoir?
It is close but fits right in.

denniskirban@yahoo.com[/quote]
I am super pleased with the swap.
Link to my swap thread.
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=4228.0

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Dennis we are thinking the same way we are working on a kit as well. I am working on the adapter plate and custom reservoir now. Cardone has a special deal if you are a manufacturer which helps, we can talk in Chicago maybe. On a side note it is my opinion that Vacuum brakes the way they are commonly done are dangerous for these cars which is why we wont sell them

Dennis we are thinking the same way we are working on a kit as well. I am working on the adapter plate and custom reservoir now. Cardone has a special deal if you are a manufacturer which helps, we can talk in Chicago maybe. On a side note it is my opinion that Vacuum brakes the way they are commonly done are dangerous for these cars which is why we wont sell them
Have/will you be installing hb on your new shop toy with the 4.1?

Yes, plastic reservoir, aluminum(i think) bore . I think it looks better than the big cast piece that came in the tr.

You must massage the lines and swap front to rear port, and rear to front port. I will look. I believe it is a Seville.
http://www.autopartsexpress.com/a1-cardone-10-1740-remanufactured-a-1-cardone-brake-master-cylinder?cse=GoogleProductSearch&utm_source=google product search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=Brake Master Cylinder&gclid=CLDYgYDTtr4CFSsV7AodpBcA8w

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Link to my swap thread.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app[/quote]

The cardone part number for the master cylinder you used was 10-1740 correct? Has slanted plastic reservoir? In books its listed for 1981 Regal diesel did not cross reference it but more than likely same as Caddy diesel one also. I had Cardone run that number they got 60 in stock in Philly cas with that

http://www.autopartsexpress.com/a1-cardone-10-1740-remanufactured-a-1-cardone-brake-master-cylinder?cse=GoogleProductSearch&utm_source=google product search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=Brake Master Cylinder&gclid=CLDYgYDTtr4CFSsV7AodpBcA8w

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Link to my swap thread.

The cardone part number for the master cylinder you used was 10-1740 correct? Has slanted plastic reservoir? In books its listed for 1981 Regal diesel did not cross reference it but more than likely same as Caddy diesel one also. I had Cardone run that number they got 60 in stock in Philly cas with that

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Link to my swap thread.

The master cylinder you used was cardone 10-1740 correct? listed as 1981 diesel regal unit may be same as similar diesel caddy one. Cardone shows 60 on hand sitting in Philly. what did you pay for it...

I may go with that one but also trying to get 1984 regal master cylinder to use on the 84 hydro boost set up.

Still waiting for Cardone to tellme if and how many 84 hydro boost systems they got. I would think cores are getting kidna scarce now. They don't list powermasters anymore only way others can get them done is thru some auto stores and you have to gamble your core first. For me I have cores so I get them turned around. Motors are becoming and issue until they can solve it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yes and yes. I didn't look for a Regal one. In the cedar crest speed thread it calls it a Cadillac so that is what I ordered. Gm, many of the same parts fit many different cars. Cuts down on inventory in theory.

Been using hydratechs system for a few years now. I've installed several systems on other cars. The braking power is second to none. The downside is the system makes noise. It has a slight power steering whine that for some reason can't be corrected. The last system I installed was not as bad but still has slight whine. The only thing different about that one is the 5/8 reservoir hose was replaced with a one that does not have a the natural 90*. The new hose gradually bends making a smoother path for the fluid to the pump. It seemed to help.

I have some pics in my old computer. I'll post some up a little later.

Rick

Been using hydratechs system for a few years now. I've installed several systems on other cars. The braking power is second to none. The downside is the system makes noise. It has a slight power steering whine that for some reason can't be corrected. The last system I installed was not as bad but still has slight whine. The only thing different about that one is the 5/8 reservoir hose was replaced with a one that does not have a the natural 90*. The new hose gradually bends making a smoother path for the fluid to the pump. It seemed to help.

I have some pics in my old computer. I'll post some up a little later.

Rick

What you are mentioning about steering noise is that similar to what most ford cars make? I have a ford ranger truck and can hear it alittle. Great little truck by the way...
I agree ho whoses are routed is critical because I remember on the recall remote power steering reservior according to one source if the dealer did not also change out the hoses to route the flow problems would still come up once it got hot.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Mine mounted w/ a Wilwood mc.
This is a hot rod, so there was no intention of making it "like the factory did it".
Note: The unit is mtd inverted, to get the accumulator away from the engine.
There is a filter that is yet to be installed in the return line.
My first HB is on my 55 Chevy. Also inverted.
After having REALLY poor brake performance on the 55, I did some testing.
750-800psi was all I could get to the calipers w/ an 8" dual booster, 1 1/16" mc, 16-17" vac.
Same brakes w/ HB: 2100psi. At that psi, I had to upgrade to a premium pad. The softies we had, trying to make the vac stop, didn't hold up well to 2100psi.:eek:

I think the T Type will get some bigger discs, as the pads really take a beating w/ the puny [<11"], rotors requiring too much pedal pressure.

I get all my HB units from Elliott Sydnam, in Dallas, TX. He makes custom mounts for each application. [The 3rd app is on a 62 Stude w/ a LS3.]:smuggrin:
Dennis, if you want to discuss, call me at:
706-342-3152, or on the cell @ 770-265-5144

I'm sorry but is this the post you are referring to? I'm sorry to have upset you sir but by no means tried to call your post dumb.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but is this the post you are referring to? I'm sorry to have upset you sir but by no means tried to call your post dumb. I'm not even sure how that happened.
Yes I am currently in Afghanistan and yes I am a new guy. And yes I am going through every post possible to learn as much as I can.
Most of the time it is on my "dumb" afghani cell phone that picks and chooses when it wants me to click on a button and sometimes it goes crazy and logs me off without telling me.
So I'm not sure how or when it clicked on The button that called this post "dumb".
I apologize but don't sit there and try and belittle me for a accident on a post that I was just trying to read. Your private message was enough.
If you would like to get a hold of me privately so I can apologize over the phone. my Afghanistan number which is +93794986970. Thank you and you have a good day. By the way no hashish is the shit we are trying to eradicate here in Helmand .

Don't worry about it!
No need for the fone calls...
STAY away from the hash! When you guys burn it, stay up wind!:D

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Link to my swap thread.

MR TEXAS T:

Can you send me a email to denniskirban@yahoo.com

like to find out a few things on this set up

appreciate it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

that is my email my signature...

I am happy with my Hydratech brakes too. I wasn't able to bleed the front left one as the last guy cross threaded the bleed screw. So even with that, they stop very well. But I can tell the pedal doesn't return like it should. I was at a car show last year and was looking at the Mustangs. Some had HB, some didn't. Some were Cobras, some weren't. You might want to check with your Ford dealer and see what they cost. I had a local hydraulics shop fab up the hoses for me.

I paid about 280$ for everything from rockauto and have been pretty happy. Go with the clear resevoir. Simple chang over to due. Brake boostn 20# without much effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk