You can type here any text you want

Knock after replacing stock MAF:

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom R

87FastBlack
I've been working with a member of this forum (TurboBuRick) to get my car to run better; not necessarily faster. I am a relatively new TR owner (less than 2 months)and have little mechanical experience and that's why I found Rick.

Anyway, we recently replaced my stock MAF with an LS1, added a translator and an Extender chip set for 93 octane. We made some runs with the car and had some knock right away. Some adjustments were made and all seemed ok until tonite.

I took the car for a few runs on the x-way and the car developed knock of 2.1 at @689 at 57mph and then 2.6 at @792 at 56 mph. When I brought the car home, my numbers were like this; BL 124, L8 33-35, INT 126-134, TPS .42, IAC 32 and AF 03. I never had any knock issues before. I called Rick and he suggested I add fuel via the translator and see what that does. I put the car down for tonite so I will try that tomorrow but I have some questions...:confused:

First, I've been emailing and calling Rick all too often and he's been great. I just thought I'd give him a break and let his ear heal while I get some feedback from other members of the forum before I call Rick with an update later.

Now, is it really normal to develope knock after replacing these items? If so, do you really have to run the car at WOT in 3rd gear to check for knock? I like the car the way it is and don't feel like putting more pressure on the engine. I'm running around with @300Hp and 18lbs of boost. And I'm not really interested in spending money to replace pistons or anything else from trying to eliminate knock. I bought the car to enjoy. I've read many posts here and see all the frustration these cars can create but can I simply get this thing to run well without risking damage to the engine and relax and enjoy the car? :(

I've been working with a member of this forum (TurboBuRick) to get my car to run better; not necessarily faster. I am a relatively new TR owner (less than 2 months)and have little mechanical experience and that's why I found Rick.

Anyway, we recently replaced my stock MAF with an LS1, added a translator and an Extender chip set for 93 octane. We made some runs with the car and had some knock right away. Some adjustments were made and all seemed ok until tonite.

I took the car for a few runs on the x-way and the car developed knock of 2.1 at @689 at 57mph and then 2.6 at @792 at 56 mph. When I brought the car home, my numbers were like this; BL 124, L8 33-35, INT 126-134, TPS .42, IAC 32 and AF 03. I never had any knock issues before. I called Rick and he suggested I add fuel via the translator and see what that does. I put the car down for tonite so I will try that tomorrow but I have some questions...:confused:

First, I've been emailing and calling Rick all too often and he's been great. I just thought I'd give him a break and let his ear heal while I get some feedback from other members of the forum before I call Rick with an update later.

Now, is it really normal to develope knock after replacing these items? If so, do you really have to run the car at WOT in 3rd gear to check for knock? I like the car the way it is and don't feel like putting more pressure on the engine. I'm running around with @300Hp and 18lbs of boost. And I'm not really interested in spending money to replace pistons or anything else from trying to eliminate knock. I bought the car to enjoy. I've read many posts here and see all the frustration these cars can create but can I simply get this thing to run well without risking damage to the engine and relax and enjoy the car? :(

Maybe bad gas you have in the car:confused: i would recommend to have Rick spend some more time on your car to get her dialed in.Hey Rick if i dont get any time to run to the DR house before he goes on vacation,are you going to have any room for a north sider to pass by? on my hit list is a bad to the bone tunning on my alky kit;)

There is no doubt I'll be calling and driving out to see Rick soon. I've seen what he can do to a GN firsthand and that guy knows his Shi*. I just thought I'd give him a break from my ringing his ears and his tired fingers from typing back to me.

As far as the possibility of bad gas goes...I always get gas from BP and have never had any issues..but I guess there's always a first. It's just that the knoock started after the new parts were put in and I've filled up the tank since and still we got knock.

Hey Rick? You there? I'll call you with the results if I get the car out this weekend. Rain in the forecast except Sunday.

It looks like your knock may be happening at the 2-3 shift point. Mine usually shifts at almost 60 mph when at WOT, so I'm assuming yours is close to the same.

That particular shift point is where the highest load is present and the most likely place to see knock retard. I was going to suggest pulling a degree or two of tiiming from your translator, but I see you have the regular one so that's out.
Next it to add a click or two of WOT fuel in the translator.

when the low restriction MAFs are installed, we normally see the boost go up a bit. Check your boost level and perhaps drop it a pound.

Bob

Back