launch question

jcawley3

I only have about 15-20 passes under my belt....the more I think about the way I leave the line the more I think I'm doing it wrong (not sure).

current procedure:
ease up until stage bulbs light
hold brake down
engage E brake
bring boost up till tires almost most break loose...hold it
at the last yellow light I realease everything and floor board it.....

correct? or....

should I do everything above except floor it....now I'm thinking I should let the car leave at that boost level then floor it once i get out a little....

Not a big fan of E-brake launchs........:frown: A lot of people get away with it untill they don't. Good brakes will hold.

best 60' is 1.78
just trying to figure how to get a little better...

I have about 8 runs under my belt and I have been to achieve 1.79 60' with just a footbrake. Do you have larger wheel cylinders installed for your rear brakes? I installed them, along with organic shoes and I have been able to hold up to launch at about 8PSI and probably a little higher.

I only have about 15-20 passes under my belt....the more I think about the way I leave the line the more I think I'm doing it wrong (not sure).

current procedure:
hold brake down
engage E brake

correct? or....

should I do everything above except floor it....now I'm thinking I should let the car leave at that boost level then floor it once i get out a little....

What tires are you running with?

i launch about 7-8psi off the foot brake but i can hold around 10psi on it my best is a 1.77 outta the hole so i would drop the e-brake launch

current procedure:
hold brake down
engage E brake

correct? or....

if you have a line lock this is the way i race my car?I ease up stage frist lite hold your brake down press your line lock on with your line lock on pump your brake"s couple time what you doing all your brake pres going to the rear brake only? hold your brake hard release your line lock boost up BUMP SEC LITE? i hold 15 plus on my car with a 70 GTQ ON FOOT!!!:eek::eek::D

MT drag radials
no stock brakes

I can get almost 10 lbs on the e brake but it just blows the tires after I release and give it the gas....

I don't think the e brake or no e brake has anything to do with the problem...problem is the tires are going up in smoke when launching the car....

thats why I was asking about the way others are leaving...

After releasing the brake do you floor the gas pedal?

or

After releasing the brake do you hold it in the same place it was when you were holding the brake, until you get out a little?

hope I'm making sense - thanks- John

Looking at the pics in your sig, I'd say you need an airbag on the passenger side. From what I can see, at appears you have stock springs and sway bar in the rear. Video of the rear of the car at launch would show for sure, but I suspect there is too little pressure pushing down on the passenger rear tire...

When trying to get the best ETs and 60fts, its real hard to cut a good reaction time until you have lots of experience or else a boost controller or rev limiter like a 2 step. For now, don't worry about the reaction time and concentrate on getting the best possible launch.

I've always got the best launches by leaving when I hit a certain boost level and not holding it there, leaving before the car totally rises up on the suspension. After you've staged give it about half throttle or so while pressing the foot brake all the way, just enough to build boost. When you get to your desired boost, give it full throttle and release the brake at the same time, maybe giving it full throttle a fraction before you release the brake. This will also flash the converter and let you leave with more boost.

Getting a line lock lets you release the rear brakes during the burnout, leaving them cold so that they will hold more boost when you stage. Without a line lock, try not to hold the brakes too hard, just enough so that the fronts hold and the rear tires will spin. Having good pads, drums, and good adjustment on the rear brakes will help you hold enough boost on the line. I've been able to get 1.5 60fts off the footbrake on MT DRs with no other suspension mods then poly bushings in the rear control arms.

The main thing is not to sit there with the boost right at the limit. So if you want to leave at 3psi, as soon as the boost hits 3psi, floor it and go. Who cares if you red light or have a bad reaction time on test and tune nights, just leave when you hit your number. Try leaving at different boost levels to see what your car likes and can handle. On days with a good track you can try leaving a little harder each time.

I think it's a big secret, because no one would tell me, even my friend's, but i wonder how if my friend drove my car he'd get a 1.6 60ft, and i could,nt get 1.9. Anyway i watched him, and notice what he did!! Now i get great 60ft. Frist of all dont FLOOR it, unless you have that kind of traction. Here you go, set the car up how you going to run it, tires, and all. (Find sweet spot) Build up on your car as much as you want to leave with, when you lanuch look at your (Boost gauge) while pressing the car to the floor, and notice at what boost level do the car start to spin, that's the (sweet spot). Now stop again, build car to desired (boost) lanuch car looking at boost gauge slam the gas until it get's to that (sweet spot) then stop pressing for a moment, then press gas to the floor in a smooth steady motion, as fast as you can get it there, with out blowing the tires off! Hope this help's!!

Do you play golf?? When I tee the ball up I always see in my mind me hitting a great shot, but in reality it never happens. Then every now and then I it one pure. Then you start practicing towards that. Well launching on of these is about the same for alot of us. I have stacks of slips with 1.71-2.20 60 fts. Trust me it sounds so much easier than it is, just like a golf shot! lol You will get I promise. I just finally got back out to the track for the first time this year. I finally cut a good 60ft!! I was almost more excited about that than I was the time. It felt like a huge accomplishment. I only got one more pass in and I got greedy and tried to give the track more than it would take!! The point being is I have gotten to a point that I can repeat that, it just took me some practice. I had a mustang that was so easy I got spoiled. footbrakeing an aod off of the 2 step. Only had to worry about the burnout and cutting a good light!

Good luck to you!

Do you play golf?? When I tee the ball up I always see in my mind me hitting a great shot, but in reality it never happens. Then every now and then I it one pure. Then you start practicing towards that. Well launching on of these is about the same for alot of us. I have stacks of slips with 1.71-2.20 60 fts. Trust me it sounds so much easier than it is, just like a golf shot! lol You will get I promise. I just finally got back out to the track for the first time this year. I finally cut a good 60ft!! I was almost more excited about that than I was the time. It felt like a huge accomplishment. I only got one more pass in and I got greedy and tried to give the track more than it would take!! The point being is I have gotten to a point that I can repeat that, it just took me some practice. I had a mustang that was so easy I got spoiled. footbrakeing an aod off of the 2 step. Only had to worry about the burnout and cutting a good light!

Good luck to you!

Looks like Bagger Vance is now a Crew chief....:biggrin:

$5 Guaranteed

Good luck to you!

do "I" play golf? yes! 3 times a week...lol...I do love it! well if its like golf I may never figure it out...I'd bet on my golf game way before I bet on my driving skills!!:D anybody wanna play:rolleyes:

Looks like Bagger Vance is now a Crew chief....:biggrin:

$5 Guaranteed
lmao

do "I" play golf? yes! 3 times a week...lol...I do love it! well if its like golf I may never figure it out...I'd bet on my golf game way before I bet on my driving skills!!:D anybody wanna play:rolleyes:

I only wish. I used to play 2-3 times a week. Then I had kids!!:eek:
I haven't even played a round this year!

Are you logging the runs? you sure you aren't leavin some of the 60' in the tune?

Are you logging the runs? you sure you aren't leavin some of the 60' in the tune?

probably.....I managed a 1.73 60' at reynolds...thats the best I've had..however I blew a head gasket on the next pass...